Re: New group name?: ex-ex-"selfish-hedonists"

    Message 1 of 31 , Sep 1, 2004
      Keyes said: "The essence of ... family life remains procreation. If
      we embrace homosexuality as a proper basis for marriage, we are
      saying that it's possible to have a marriage state that in principal
      excludes procreation and is based simply on the premise of selfish
      hedonism."

      If Keyes is correct that any marriage excluding the possibility of
      procreation is based on selfish hedonism, then it would follow that
      all heterosexual couples in which one or both partners are infertile
      should also be prohibited from marrying. For they, like Mary
      Cheney, would simply be selfish hedonists.

      I dare say Keyes' sentiment appears to be in direct opposition to
      God's. Undoubtedly the male and female sex organs are designed to
      complement one another and are necessary to produce babies. But
      sexuality means much more than reproduction. This insight seems to
      be confirmed by the complementary account of creation provided in
      Genesis. For God, we are told, was strangely sympathetic to the
      loneliness of Adam, observing that within the universe he had so
      conspicuously pronounced "good" there was, nevertheless, a
      significant omission. "It was not good for the man to be alone"
      (Genesis 2:18). In other words, a primary creation purpose of sex
      is inter-personal intimacy, not just procreation. Sex as a profound
      expression of love and mutuality is something most of us accept
      gratefully as a good part of God's good world; it is a marvel and a
      mystery and a grace that babies can come from ecstasy, but the
      ecstasy does not require babies to justify it.

      -Alex

      --- In exexgayministry@yahoogroups.com, "Norm" <nojam75@y...> wrote:
      > You're right, Alex, gay politics is at the forefront of American
      > politics.
      >
      > According to the Chicago Tribune, on Monday night the Illinois
      > Republican candidate for the US Senate, Alan "controversial"
      Keyes,
      > declared homosexuality to be "selfish hedonism". The Sirius OutQ
      > radio host then asked if Vice President Cheney's daughter, Mary
      > Cheney, is a "selfish hedonist". He replied, "Of course she is.
      > That goes by definition. Of course she is."
      >
      > [I'm speechless]
      >
      > So, one would think that a candidate's negative characterization
      of
      > an entire class of people would prompt a loud rebuke from his
      party:

      > "It was inappropriate" -- Steve Schmidt, Bush/Cheney campaign
      > spokesman
      >
      > "I don't think that's appropriate, but it's not the first
      > inappropriate remark Mr. Keyes has made. He made a remark the
      other
      > day that people who perform abortions are the same as terrorists.
      > That's a very unique take on that issue and one that's very seldom
      > espoused." -- Sen. John McCain (R-Ariz.)
      >
      > "The ticket is Republican. I am the Republican chairman. He is on
      > the ticket. We will support the ticket." -- Judy Baar Topinka
      > Illinois Republican Party Chairwoman
      >
      > [I'm even more speechless]
      >
      > So, Mr. Schmidt, Ms. Topinka, and Sen. McCain don't necessarily
      > disagree with Keyes. They just find his comments to be
      > inappropriate (i.e. improper, unsuitable). I understand that
      > Topinka is in a tough position in that she is
      practically 'married'
      > to Keyes, but, according to the article, McCain already denounced
      > Keyes' candidacy as a lost cause. And yet, the never soft-spoken
      > McCain can only bring himself to describe Keyes' views as unique.
      > It would seem that Republicans see no problem in attacking gays as
      > part of their campaign strategy -- let alone upset the Religious
      > Right.
      >
      > I find this very disturbing. Well, I would find it very
      > disturbing. Fortunately, I'm too self-centered and find it too
      > unpleasant to ponder.
      >
      > Norm!
      >
      > [See: "Keyes defends comments about Cheney's gay daughter", by
      > Jennifer Skalka and Ofelia Casillas, 08/31/04, Chicago Tribune,
      > http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/local/chi-
      > 040831illinois,1,6577738.story?coll=chi-news-hed]
    • Bob Griffith
      Message 31 of 31 , Sep 11, 2004
        Anthony -

        I do understand. Dale said that divorce is not an option he desires. If
        he chooses to stay married, then from a Christian viewpoint being faithful
        to the marriage vows is very important.

        Bob

        <http://us.ard.yahoo.com/SIG=1291o38rl/M=295196.4901138.6071305.3001176/D=gr

        oups/S=1705074683:HM/EXP=1094914188/A=2128215/R=0/SIG=10se96mf6/*http://comp