Divided Hearts?

    Message 1 of 2 , Aug 14, 2004
      A number of recent posts reveals that a sizable number of people are
      grappling with the dilemma: How to decide when it is "right"
      or "proper" for a relationship to become physical (i.e. sexual).
      It's an important question and clearly not limited to Christians who
      are of same-sex orientation.

      The issues we face today are wide-ranging. So, while the Bible, the
      Word of God, has always seemed clear enough about some issues of
      sexual morality, when we are confronted with the complex situations
      people find themselves in today, we have to look deeply at the Word
      of God for wisdom to know how to handle some burning contemporary
      issues in the most appropriate way. Needless to say, this has
      raised some difficult questions.

      The crux of the matter, it seems to me, is simply that the Bible has
      no sexual ethic per se. There is no Biblical sex ethic. Instead, the
      Bible exhibits a variety of sexual mores, some of which changed
      drastically over the thousand-year span of biblical history. Mores
      are unreflective customs accepted by a given community. Many of the
      practices that the Bible prohibits, we allow, and many that it
      allows, we prohibit. The Bible knows only a love ethic, which is
      constantly being brought to bear on whatever sexual mores are
      dominant in any given country, or culture, or period.

      The very notion of a "sex ethic" reflects the materialism and
      splitness of modern life, in which we increasingly define our
      identity sexually. Sexuality cannot be separated off from the rest
      of life.

      NO SEX ACT IS "ETHICAL" IN AND OF ITSELF, WITHOUT REFERENCE TO THE
      REST OF A PERSON'S LIFE, THE PATTERNS OF THE CULTURE, THE SPECIAL
      CIRCUMSTANCES FACED, AND THE WILL OF GOD.

      What we have are simply sexual mores, which change, sometimes with
      startling rapidity, creating bewildering dilemmas. Just within one
      lifetime we have witnessed the shift from the ideal of preserving
      one's virginity until marriage, to couples living together for
      several years before getting married. The response of many
      Christians is merely to long for the hypocrisies of an earlier era.

      Our moral task, rather, is to apply Jesus' love ethic to whatever
      sexual mores are prevalent in a given culture. We might address
      younger people, for example, not with laws and commandments whose
      violation is a sin, but rather with the sad experiences of the many
      who found too much early sexual intimacy overwhelming, and who react
      by voluntary celibacy and even the refusal to date. We can offer
      reasons, not empty and unenforceable orders. We can challenge both
      gay and straight people to question their behaviors in the light of
      love and the requirements of fidelity, honesty, responsibility, and
      genuine concern for the best interests of the other and of society
      as a whole.

      CHRISTIAN MORALITY, AFTER ALL, IS NOT AN IRON CHASTITY BELT FOR
      REPRESSING URGES, BUT A WAY OF EXPRESSING THE INTEGRITY OF OUR
      RELATIONSHIP WITH GOD.

      It is the attempt to discover a manner of living that is consistent
      with who God created us to be. For those of same-sex orientation,
      being moral means rejecting sexual mores that violate their own
      integrity and that of others, and attempting to discover what it
      would mean to live by the love ethic of Jesus.

      -Alex
    • Anthony Venn-Brown
      Message 2 of 2 , Aug 14, 2004
        A thoughtful and insightful response as always Alex.

        thanks

        Anthony
        Moderator and author of:
        'A Life of Unlearning -Coming Out of the Church - One Man's Struggle'
        To download Chapter 1 'The Confession' FREE click here
        <http://www.anthonyvennbrown.com/book.html> .
        My sexual orientation is not a sickness to be healed or a sin to be
        forgiven. My sexual orientation is a gift from my Creator to be accepted,
        celebrated, and lived with integrity.

[...]

        Yahoo! Groups Sponsor
        click here
        <http://us.ard.yahoo.com/SIG=129bk3833/M=298184.5285298.6392945.3001176/D=gr