Re: Congressional Subcommittee To Hear From 'Ex-Gay' Group

    Message 1 of 3 , Jan 23, 2004
      <<The Love Won Out website (www.family.org) states, "Focus on the
      Family is promoting the truth that homosexuality is preventable and
      treatable ... We want people to know that individuals don't have to
      be gay.">>

      If this is any basis to their claims then somebody needs to explain
      to me why their "ex-gay" leaders are always getting caught with
      their pants down.

      --- In exexgayministry@yahoogroups.com, "alankhoo92002"
      <alankhoo92002@y...> wrote:
      > Maybe they should hear from Ex-ex gay groups too.
      >
      > Alan
      >
      > Congressional Subcommittee To Hear From 'Ex-Gay' Group
      > by Paul Johnson
      > 365Gay.com Newscenter
      > Washington Bureau Chief

      > (Washington, D.C.) The House Committee on Government Reform's
      > Subcommittee on Criminal Justice, Drug Policy and Human Resources
      has
      > scheduled a hearing on faith-based initiatives Friday and
      reportedly
      > will hear from extreme rightwing groups including one
      > promoting "converting" gays to heterosexuality.
      >
      > Among the groups to testify before the Republican controlled sub-
      > committee is Focus on the Family and an organization it sponsors,
      > Love Won Out.
      >
      > "This could mark the beginning of a faith-based fiasco where the
      > right wing pressures the government to get into the business of
      > destroying lives through support of ex-gay programs," said Wayne
      > Besen, author of Anything But Straight: Unmasking the Scandals and
      > Lies Behind the Ex-Gay Myth.
      >
      > Gay civil rights groups are calling on the committee to rescind
      its
      > invitation to the groups to appear.
      >
      > "It is unconscionable that our federal elected officials would
      even
      > consider using the hard-earned tax dollars of millions of parents
      > fund the denigration of their children," said David Tseng,
      Executive
      > Director of PFLAG.
      >
      > The Love Won Out website (www.family.org) states, "Focus on the
      > Family is promoting the truth that homosexuality is preventable
      and
      > treatable ... We want people to know that individuals don't have
      > be gay."
      >
      > FOF says it plans to have five of their representatives testify at
      > the faith-based funding hearing.
      >
      > "Ex-gay therapy" was publicly decried in 1999 as unethical by both
      > the American Psychiatric Association and the American
      Psychological
      > Association. At best, ex-gay groups fuel prejudice and homophobia;
      at
      > worst, they put their 'clients' at great risk of depression,
      anxiety,
      > and self-destructive behavior, including suicide.
      >
      > "There is nothing reparative about this destructive and
      > psychologically harmful practice, which is based on outdated and
      > disproved pseudo-science and fundamentalist religious prejudice,"
      > said PFLAG's Deputy Field and Policy Director, Roy Gilbert-
      > Higginson, PhD., a former clinical psychiatric social worker.
      >
      > ©365Gay.com® 2004
    • Bob Griffith
      Message 2 of 3 , Jan 23, 2004
        I must say, THAT is a very good question!

        Bob