Kerusso Ministries

  • Michael Airhart
    Message 1 of 3 , Oct 19, 2003
      No victims of Michael Johnston have agreed to be publicly identified. The
      attorney for an anonymous victim is Michael Hamar in the Norfolk, Va., area.
      He says the case can't really go forward without people willing to identify
      themselves. Considering that these folks were having semi-anonymous sex at
      orgy parties, it's understandable that they don't want their employers,
      families or churches to know. Unfortunately, the Norfolk-area media were not
      very cooperative in getting the message out, that perhaps a dozen or more
      people may have contracted HIV.

      The "marriage protection" folks are basing their campaign on the notion that
      homosexuals pose a dire threat to civilization. Since compassion and
      outreach are not a part of their current strategy, ex-gays do not fit well
      in their propaganda.

      Exodus International's top staff want very much to be a part of the
      "marriage protection" war, but lately they have been whining instead about
      feeling fatigued and persecuted, and begging for donations. I suspect there
      are division breaking out in Exodus, as some member ministries oppose
      Exodus' promotion of job and housing discrimination, sodomy laws, and the
      war against monogamous gay relationships.

      Focus on the Family is still marketing ex-gay propaganda through its "Love
      Won Out" events, making money and apparently not sharing it with ex-gays.

      The Family Policy Network flew ex-gay banners over Gay Days events last
      summer, and now they are sending threatening press releases against the
      antigay Virginia attorney general for agreeing not to discriminate against
      gays in hiring for Virginia's justice department.

      -- Mike Airhart
      -- www.exgaywatch.com

      On 10/19/03 5:49 AM, "exexgayministry@yahoogroups.com"
      <exexgayministry@yahoogroups.com> wrote:

      > Message: 1
      > Date: Sun, 19 Oct 2003 04:33:49 -0000
      > From: "epiko2222" <epiko2222@...>
      > Subject: Kerruso
      >
      > Hey,
      >
      > Can anyone give me an update on Michael Johnston/Kerruso (sic)
      > ministries situation? Don't mean to be lazy but I can't find info
      > anywhere. I thinks this shows that the ex-gay movement isn't making
      > news anymore.
      >
      > Mike

      > Message: 2
      > Date: Sun, 19 Oct 2003 08:01:18 -0000
      > From: "Norm" <nojam75@...>
      > Subject: Re: Kerruso
      >
      > He seems to be keeping a low profile. The last I heard was that
      > Johnston may be in a residential program. I haven't heard anything
      > about criminal charges or civil lawsuits from former sex partners he
      > exposed to HIV. Here's Wayne Besen's August news release:
      > http://www.anythingbutstraight.com/news/pr8-6-03.html
      >
      > The ex-gay movement has not been in the headlines very much lately.
      > Paulk, Johnston, and Besen's new book may have made them shy. Also,
      > it seems the political religious right doesn't feel the need to use
      > the ex-gay movement at this time. Treating homosexuality as a
      > sickness doesn't seem to fit into their "defending marriage"
      > campaign.
      >
      > Norm!

    • epiko2222
      Message 2 of 3 , Oct 19, 2003
        I actually don't think he's done anything wrong. If you choose to go
        to a sex party don't whine about the results. If some of this
        occured while in his role at the ministry or as a counselor that's a
        different story.

        --- In exexgayministry@yahoogroups.com, Michael Airhart
        <mairhart@i...> wrote:
        > No victims of Michael Johnston have agreed to be publicly
        identified. The
        > attorney for an anonymous victim is Michael Hamar in the Norfolk,
        Va., area.
        > He says the case can't really go forward without people willing to
        identify
        > themselves. Considering that these folks were having semi-
        anonymous sex at
        > orgy parties, it's understandable that they don't want their
        employers,
        > families or churches to know. Unfortunately, the Norfolk-area
        media were not
        > very cooperative in getting the message out, that perhaps a dozen
        or more
        > people may have contracted HIV.
        >
        > The "marriage protection" folks are basing their campaign on the
        notion that
        > homosexuals pose a dire threat to civilization. Since compassion
        and
        > outreach are not a part of their current strategy, ex-gays do not
        fit well
        > in their propaganda.
        >
        > Exodus International's top staff want very much to be a part of the
        > "marriage protection" war, but lately they have been whining
        instead about
        > feeling fatigued and persecuted, and begging for donations. I
        suspect there
        > are division breaking out in Exodus, as some member ministries
        oppose
        > Exodus' promotion of job and housing discrimination, sodomy laws,
        and the
        > war against monogamous gay relationships.
        >
        > Focus on the Family is still marketing ex-gay propaganda through
        its "Love
        > Won Out" events, making money and apparently not sharing it with
        ex-gays.

        > The Family Policy Network flew ex-gay banners over Gay Days events
        last
        > summer, and now they are sending threatening press releases
        against the
        > antigay Virginia attorney general for agreeing not to discriminate
        against
        > gays in hiring for Virginia's justice department.
        >
        > -- Mike Airhart
        > -- www.exgaywatch.com
        >
        > On 10/19/03 5:49 AM, "exexgayministry@yahoogroups.com"
        > <exexgayministry@yahoogroups.com> wrote:
        >
        > > Message: 1
        > > Date: Sun, 19 Oct 2003 04:33:49 -0000
        > > From: "epiko2222" <epiko2222@y...>
        > > Subject: Kerruso
        > >
        > > Hey,
        > >
        > > Can anyone give me an update on Michael Johnston/Kerruso (sic)
        > > ministries situation? Don't mean to be lazy but I can't find info
        > > anywhere. I thinks this shows that the ex-gay movement isn't
        making
        > > news anymore.
        > >
        > > Mike

        ___

        ___

        > > Message: 2
        > > Date: Sun, 19 Oct 2003 08:01:18 -0000
        > > From: "Norm" <nojam75@y...>
        > > Subject: Re: Kerruso
        > >
        > > He seems to be keeping a low profile. The last I heard was that
        > > Johnston may be in a residential program. I haven't heard
        anything
        > > about criminal charges or civil lawsuits from former sex
        partners he
        > > exposed to HIV. Here's Wayne Besen's August news release:
        > > http://www.anythingbutstraight.com/news/pr8-6-03.html
        > >
        > > The ex-gay movement has not been in the headlines very much
        lately.
        > > Paulk, Johnston, and Besen's new book may have made them shy.
        Also,
        > > it seems the political religious right doesn't feel the need to
        use
        > > the ex-gay movement at this time. Treating homosexuality as a
        > > sickness doesn't seem to fit into their "defending marriage"
        > > campaign.
        > >
        > > Norm!

      • Michael A
        Message 3 of 3 , Oct 20, 2003
          epiko,

          The orgies did occur while Johnston was running Kerusso Ministries, and while he was
          marketing videos portraying the "gay lifestyle" (HIS lifestyle) as dark, sinister,
          depraved, lustful, dangerous, and so forth.

          Johnston has made no apparent effort to track down or alert his sex partners. Instead,
          he's secluding himself at a Christian "treatment center" instead. To date, he has not
          retracted or apologized for the lies and hypocrisy of his former ministry. His allies
          describe what happened as nothing more than a "moral fall."

          His partners should, at minimum, have used condoms. And perhaps they should have
          refrained from having sex with strangers, too.

          Their roles do not excuse Johnston's selfishness and dishonesty.

          -- Mike