Re: Im back unfortunately

    Message 1 of 10 , Jun 27, 2003
      Interesting comment! It would appear to me that if one understands
      on any level what the term "ex-gay" is supposed to mean, then it
      surely wouldn't be rocket science to figure out "ex-ex-gay."
      Frankly, I think the term that really needs some serious defining is
      the former. If you asked 10 people to define "ex-gay" -- including
      those who identify themselves as such -- you'd probably get at least
      11 answers. Nonetheless I think I went into a fair elaboration on
      the latter in my post #2895.

      -Alex

      --- In exexgayministry@yahoogroups.com, "Rusty Morris"
      <rusty66@w...> wrote:
      > Perhaps someone should define "ex-exgay".
      >
      > R.

      Service.

    • Rusty Morris
      Message 2 of 10 , Jun 27, 2003
        Yes it was a good response.
        R.

        <rusty66@w...> wrote:
        > Perhaps someone should define "ex-exgay".
        >
        > R.

        Service.

        Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

        Message 3 of 10 , Jun 28, 2003
          --- In exexgayministry@yahoogroups.com, "rodneymacdonald"
          <rodneymacdonald@y...> wrote:
          > Hi everyone , im not sure if anyone remembers me from last summer,
          > but anyhow, Im back from a year of 'runaway from everything' in
          > france, unfortunately this sin has a way of following you wherever
          > you go in the world.

          What sin?

          > I am tired out by all this bagage in my life, i would love to hear
          > from someone who has actually experienced and IS experiencing
          victory
          > over homosexuality in their life,

          There are no ex-gays. If there were, you would hear from them.

          >because im at the point of breaking
          > and going back to the lifestyle full tilt.

          What "lifestyle?" Please describe and be specific. Then tell
          what "the lifestyle" has to do with your post?!?

          >When i left the gay world
          > a year ago, i felt hurt, loneliness, anger, guilt, shame, and the
          > list goes on, but since trying to be righteous, expecting to feel
          the
          > opposites of those attributes, ive just experienced more of it.

          1) What is "the gay world?"
          2) You have many problems.
          3) Get a grip on yourself and get out of that big pity-pit you are
          currently wallowing in.

          > Dont know where to turn, tried Jesus, but not so sure about that now

          Please don't blame Jesus because you can only speak in
          generalizations and think that the world is against you.
          Message 4 of 10 , Jun 29, 2003
            The brother is only trying to wrestle through the issues with
            integrity, as we all have had to do. And as we all should know from
            our personal walks of faith, this takes time and it is not easy. It
            would appear that our job would be to provide him with compassion,
            patience and sensitivity.

            -Alex

            --- In exexgayministry@yahoogroups.com, calldon2k <no_reply@y...>

            Message 5 of 10 , Aug 9, 2003
              --- In exexgayministry@yahoogroups.com, nyguy_1225 <no_reply@y...>
              wrote:
              > The brother is only trying to wrestle through the issues with
              > integrity, as we all have had to do. And as we all should know
              from
              > our personal walks of faith, this takes time and it is not easy. It
              > would appear that our job would be to provide him with compassion,
              > patience and sensitivity.
              >
              > -Alex

              Sorry if I seem a little cold. But I simply don't trust most as
              easily as I used to. Ya see...I still have the memories of the
              broken young people with whom I worked for many years. I still
              remember the times I came home from work and found a young person
              waiting at my door-step...after being kicked-out of their home for
              being gay. I still know kids who are struggling inside, who
              struggled for many years enduring rejection by those they love the
              most.

              I just finished reading much of the "Faith and Family" web-site of
              Dr. Richard Land as well as some of the SBC materials. As they get
              ready to fight homosexuality, I realize what half-truths they are
              promoting, even to the point of refering people to NARTH as if it
              were legitimate.

              I had a friend who told me that 20-years ago, his options were
              suicide, an emotional breakdown or to come-out. Unfortunately, I
              think many young folks will not be as stable to begin with and may
              not be able to see all the options, especially when they are
              promised "freedom from homosexuality" from people who will be so
              convincing and have such slick printed materials.

              I am tired of young gay folks hurting just because of who they are.

              End of my rant.
              Message 6 of 10 , Aug 10, 2003
                Don, I well understand the rejection some people have been through.
                I am no stranger to their struggles. I see it all the time. And in
                many ways, I spend my life caring for and helping these people. But
                I also see that in the final analysis, people deal with the hurt and
                rejection in essentially one of two ways:

                (1) Some eventually learn to move past the hurt and rejection and
                choose to learn to move toward healing. They choose to learn to
                build productive and healthy lives. They come to realize and accept
                that for the most part -- with rare exception -- the people who hurt
                them and/or told them they could not be gay or could not be gay and
                Christian were simply misinformed or hurt themselves. Their
                intention was not primarily to mislead or hurt; it was an unintended
                consequence. The people who "hurt" them simply shared with these
                young gay men and women what they had been taught about Lev. 18:22,
                et al. from those who taught them Christianity. And since the
                passages seemed clear enough on the surface neither of them (yes,
                even the gay people!) had reason at the time to question them
                further or to better understand the historical context or situations
                and circumstances to which they were written. However, now having
                new and more exegetically sound information they can make new,
                better and healthier decisions.

                (2) Others choose to spend the rest of the lives blaming everyone
                and everything as they continue to hold tight to their anger. They
                on some significant level refuse to move on. They refuse to move
                past the hurt and refuse to learn how to move to toward healing. In
                the final analysis we are all responsible for own lives and what we
                do with them -- regardless of what we may have encountered in the
                past. We're responsible for what we do, or do not do, with what
                we've been taught or not taught. We don't live in an "Ozzie and
                Harriet" or "Leave it to Beaver" world. We live in a fallen and an
                imperfect world and we're raised by and live among fallen and
                imperfect people.

                As I mentioned in my last post I had been invited to be a keynote
                speaker at ECWR's annual conference last week and I had opportunity
                there to speak with hundreds of Christian gay men and women over the
                course of the three days -- some of whom I had just met, some of
                whom I've known for years. Again, there were those two distinct
                camps: Some were so excited about finally learning the truth,
                excited about understanding that they had been taught some things
                that simply were not true and over the years moved on to begin
                rebuilding their lives. But sadly, there were others that are still
                kicking, bitching and moaning about who and what had done them
                wrong. They have nothing but negative things to say about everyone
                and everything. Everything that came out of their mouth was toxic
                and negative. This one hurt me and I'm STILL mad. This one
                rejected me and I'm STILL mad. This one didn't love me and I'm
                STILL mad. I fear many of them will spend the rest of their lives
                complaining about what happened in the past. What a sad and
                wasteful thing to do with such a precious gift as life.