Exodus Responds to Jeremy Marks

    Message 1 of 5 , Jun 4, 2003
      Exodus International's latest website news post responds to an
      article in _The Beacon Journal_ on Jeremy Marks tour with
      Evangelicals Concerned. In the Beacon article, Marks states that
      reparative therapy "doesn't work", teaches participants to "see
      themselves as deviant and as a menace to society", and "sets up a
      huge amount of self-hatred."

      Exodus responds (authored by Randy Thomas?) by stating how
      compassionate reparative therapy counselors are and that they would
      never tear ex-gays down. It disassociates itself from unscrupulous
      therapists. While at the same time defending

      I am disappointed in the Exodus' response. It evades specifically
      addressing reparative therapy and insteads focus on how nice ex-gay
      counselors are. Does Exodus even have professional counselors in
      its ministries? I know there are professional counselors associated
      with Exodus, but, as I understand, the ministries are not required
      to have any type of professionally licensed counselors.

      The Exodus news item goes on, but that's all I have time for at the
      moment.

      Norm!

      "Ministry helping gays keep faith: Jeremy Marks, founder of the
      group Courage, provides support to homosexuals who wish to follow
      path of Christian discipleship", May 31, 2003, The Beacon Journal,
      by Colette M. Jenkins:
      http://www.ohio.com/mld/beaconjournal/news/local/5983604.htm

      Exodus news release:
      http://www.exodus-international.org/news_2003_0603.shtml
      Message 2 of 5 , Jun 4, 2003
        Very interesting article but Jeremy is not "touring the United
        States as a guest of Evangelicals Concerned." He was one of three
        keynote speakers at EC's Eastern connECtion 2003 this past weekend,
        and he will also attend EC's Western connECtion 2003 at the end of
        July. These are the two annual conferences sponsored by EC every
        year. Touring the United States is really a tad over the top. By
        the way, Jeremy is quite a speaker. He separates the myth from the
        reality on this issue with much love, wisdom, grace and knowledge.
        Anyone who is going to be around the San Diego area this summer may
        wish to consider attending.

        -Alex

        --- In exexgayministry@yahoogroups.com, "Norm" <nojam75@y...> wrote:
        > Exodus International's latest website news post responds to an
        > article in _The Beacon Journal_ on Jeremy Marks tour with
        > Evangelicals Concerned. In the Beacon article, Marks states that
        > reparative therapy "doesn't work", teaches participants to "see
        > themselves as deviant and as a menace to society", and "sets up a
        > huge amount of self-hatred."
        >
        > Exodus responds (authored by Randy Thomas?) by stating how
        > compassionate reparative therapy counselors are and that they
        would
        > never tear ex-gays down. It disassociates itself from
        unscrupulous
        > therapists. While at the same time defending
        >
        > I am disappointed in the Exodus' response. It evades specifically
        > addressing reparative therapy and insteads focus on how nice ex-
        gay
        > counselors are. Does Exodus even have professional counselors in
        > its ministries? I know there are professional counselors
        associated
        > with Exodus, but, as I understand, the ministries are not required
        > to have any type of professionally licensed counselors.
        >
        > The Exodus news item goes on, but that's all I have time for at
        the
        > moment.
        >
        > Norm!
        >

        > "Ministry helping gays keep faith: Jeremy Marks, founder of the
        > group Courage, provides support to homosexuals who wish to follow
        > path of Christian discipleship", May 31, 2003, The Beacon Journal,
        > by Colette M. Jenkins:
        > http://www.ohio.com/mld/beaconjournal/news/local/5983604.htm
        >
        > Exodus news release:
        > http://www.exodus-international.org/news_2003_0603.shtml
      • Bob Griffith
        Message 3 of 5 , Jun 4, 2003
          Jeremy also spoke in Cleveland this past Monday.

          Bob

          Message 4 of 5 , Jun 4, 2003
            Yes, he did. But the Cleveland engagement was not connected with EC
            or the connECtion 2003 conferences. That was simply an engagement
            he accepted since he was here in the states.

            -Alex

            --- In exexgayministry@yahoogroups.com, Bob Griffith

            Message 5 of 5 , Jun 5, 2003
              Yes, this is true!