''GOP Boss To Meet With 'Ex-Gay' Group''

    Message 1 of 2 , May 9, 2003
      Republican National Committee Chairman Marc Racicot has agreed to
      meet "ex-gay" leaders. He was pressured into the meeting by anti-
      gay groups, Concerned Women of America and the Family Research
      Council, after meeting with HRC in March. The anti-gay groups plan
      to educate the Republican leadership about "ex-gays". No doubt this
      means they will argue that because homosexuality is curable, gays
      are not entitled to equality.

      The "ex-gay" movement is an appealing 'compassionate conservative'
      way for the Grand Old Party to deal with the gay issue.
      Supporting "ex-gay" groups means that Republicans can vote against
      or quietly abstain from gay equality. They can argue that they are
      being compassionate to gays by supporting "ex-gay" treatment, while
      conservatively opposing gay equality.

      - Norm!

      Article Links:

      "GOP Boss To Meet With 'Ex-Gay' Group", by Doreen Brandt, 365Gay.com
      Newscenter: http://365gay.com/NewsContent/050803gopGays.htm

      "GOP Chairman Interrogated by Roundtable of Anti-Gay Hate
      Organizations", posted by Gregster, morons.org:
      http://web.morons.org/article.jsp?sectionid=1&id=3223
      Message 2 of 2 , May 10, 2003
        This is no longer the 80s when the "ex-gay" movement was coming to
        the fore and began to be viewed as a road to salvation and a
        legitimate answer to the issue of homosexuality. This is the 21st
        century where the movement is struggling to recover from a badly
        bruised image as a result of being enmeshed in a series of high
        profile, embarrassing follies and failures. These headline producing
        scandals and defections have been no secret.

        Moreover, aside from the Christian community increasingly viewing
        these ministries with skepticism, the work of these ministries, and
        that of any therapy for that matter that seeks to change homosexuals
        into heterosexuals, is now vehemently rejected by nearly all
        respected, credible medical and mental heath experts. Not only have
        they concluded they don't work, they're openly declaring they can
        often be harmful.

        In addition, now that the movement has some years of history behind
        itself there is a steadily increasing number of people who
        have "been there, done that" and are now quite vocally coming
        forward to testify to the damage that the futile quest for "healing"
        through such groups has caused them. The upcoming Besen book is
        just one example of this.

        Don't lose sleep, my friend. This is just politics and the ex-gay
        movement is no longer seen to be the high goddess it was once
        thought to be. It reminds me to some degree of when we were trying
        to figure out how to put lead into gasoline and millions of dollars
        were poured into that research to make sure that engines would run
        smoother. Now of course we're spending hundreds of millions of
        dollars trying to make sure we get lead out of gasoline because we
        found out it's damaging the environment we're in.

        -Alex