Re: [ExExGayMinistry] Digest Number 173

  • Star Lindsey
    Message 1 of 2 , Apr 10, 2003
      Dear Joe,
      I think you might want to open it up to those who are GLBT and go to or have gone to very conservative Christian colleges and universities. Soulforce wanted to start something at my school but I mean really hell would freeze before they allowed for an organization to support those who are GLBT and at Liberty. Cyber support is needed for more than just people from ORU. There are people at Regent University, Liberty University, Bob Jones University, Word of Life in NY and FL, Wheaton College, etc, who are just as isolated as those who are at ORU. It is good you want to do cyber support but I think it would be better to let in those who did not get to ORU.
      I must be off, I have class in a bit. Just one more month and I am out.
      star
      ps i would suggest you tell people to adopt a screenname. in a school like ORU one can never be too careful, i know because i go to LU
      exexgayministry@yahoogroups.com wrote:Message: 1
      Date: Tue, 08 Apr 2003 22:34:43 -0000
      From: "Joe Allen Doty"
      Subject: New Yahoo Group Created for members of ORU-OUT, Inc

      Greetings to All!

      I just created a new Yahoo group for those who are members of ORU-
      OUT, Inc.

      OUT_INC/

      And here is what is currently on the Home Page: This yahoo group is
      founded by
      a member of ORU-OUT, Inc. It is not yet officially sanctioned by the
      organization yet. Membership in this discussion group is restricted
      to ORU-OUT
      membership so that they can give each other cyber support. You will
      need to
      provide proof of that by contacting the owner of this Yahoo Group.

      If you know any one who went to Oral Roberts University and is a
      member of the
      "unofficial" GLBT Alumni Group, please let them know about this
      group.

      I am sending this to all of the Christian Yahoo Groups to which I am
      a member.

      Walk in the Beauty of the Lord's Peace,

      Joe Allen Doty

    • Joe Allen Doty
      Message 2 of 2 , Apr 10, 2003
        Dear Star Lindsey,
        Read the previous posting.
        Since you read the daily digest of what is posted in this group, you might have missed what I added.
        Here is the link for my group that is for open discussion, and membership is open to anyone who is an adult, whether they went to ORU or not.:
        And the description that is on the home page of "Oh, Are You Out? No Closets?":
        Replacement group for the MSN Group "Oh, Are You Out? Dot.com" and it is an open discussion group for members whether or not they had a connection to Oral Roberts University and are Members of the Gay, Lesbian, Bisexual, Omnisexual, Transgender and Intersexual community. "Straight" supporters are welcome to join. No anti-Christian or anti-gay messages, please. Due to constant changes with Yahoo Groups, do not select the "no email" option.
        Now here is information about oru-out.com.
        http://www.oru-out.com
        ORU-OUT, Inc. aka oru-out.com exists to provide truthful information and support to gay, lesbian, bisexual and transgendered and allied persons who have attended, are attending, employed by or associated with Oral Roberts University
        Officially, ORU-OUT, Inc., does not have contact with the in-the-closet GLBT students at Oral Roberts University; but, those who have their own computers and own private local SBC phone lines in the dorms can do anything they want to do on the internet without the university know what they are doing. ORU has a Student Honor Code which says that all non-legally married students are not to have sexual activity while enrolled at ORU. Of course, I know that is not true. I even knew an openly gay man who was a student there and he went to the same MCC that I did at the time. But, it was in a small town next to Tulsa SW of ORU. He dropped out because he decided that he could not continue signing the Honor Code going against the way that God made him.
        [Oh, added note here: Most people do not know that Oral and Evelyn Roberts had two sons. The older one, Ronald Oral Roberts, was about nine months older than me and a person with a very high IQ. OR had hoped that Ronnie would replace him as President of ORU when he retired. I heard him say that in the Summer of 1963 the year that Ronnie got a degree in Chinese from Stanford University. While I was not friends with Ronnie, after I became a substitute teacher in Tulsa in the 1970s, I knew him while he was still married and even substituted [more like sat in for him] at the High School where he taught. In the 1980s, Ronnie got divorced and he also left the closet. He did not fit the gay stereotype and he even had a beard. While it was known that he had a drug addiction, I believe that was connected with the conflict in his spirituality and his parents' homophobic attitude. Sometime before he died, Ronnie talked to Troy Perry of UFMCC and that is in one of Troy's books. Officially and according to police record, Ronnie committed suicide using a gun. But, many in the local gay community believe that someone who thought he was doing the University and the Roberts family a favor might have been involved in it.
        While I cannot provide self-eyewitness proof about Richard Roberts and his sexuality, I have heard plenty about him. But, I do know this: Richard, who was quite a few years younger than his brother, did fit some of the stereotype. He was in musical theater in Kansas City, MO, and the star of the one he was in at the time his parents went to talk to him was Shirley Jones. They demanded that he come back to Tulsa and enroll in ORU. He lived in the dorm during the school year. Now, in more modern times, if they made such a demand to a child who was over 18, he could have told them, literally, "Go to Hell! I am going to live my own life!" And he would have gotten by with it legally, too.
        Here is information about the umbrella support group which provides service for oru-out.com:
        http://www.heartstrong.org/ Opening page with two links
        The following one is for those who are friends of HeartStrong, Inc.
        http://www.heartstrong.org/mission.html
        HeartStrong, Inc., exists to provide truthful information and support to gay, lesbian, bisexual, transgendered and allied person who have attended, are attending, employed by, or associated with religious educational institutions through support, education, and advocacy.
        HeartStrong, Inc., is a non-sectarian outreach established to provide educational resources, compassion and understanding to GLBT and allied persons adversely affected by the influence of religious educational institutions.
        One of the founders of HeartStrong has an autobiography which I have read here is info about it.
        The Preacher's Son by Marc Adams

        224 Pages Jerry Falwell Doesn't Want You To Read--This Lambda Literary Award finalist love story is Adams� autobiography of growing up gay the son of a fundamentalist Baptist minister. It chronicles his childhood
        and young adult life as he attended and worked for Jerry Falwell�s Liberty University. It culminates with his coming out of fundamentalism and coming out to his family.

        There are groups for those who went to colleges that you mentioned on the Heartstrong and the oru-out.com websites.
        http://www.gayatmessiah.org/ The only relationship between gayatmessiah.org and Messiah College is that this site seeks to provide resources, support and interconnectedness for former or current students and former or current faculty and staff of Messiah College who are either gay themselves, struggling with whether they are gay, or care deeply about supporting those who are. This site is an independent entity and is not sponsored, affiliated or supported in any form by Messiah College.
        Messiah College is located in Grantham, Pa., near the state capital of Harrisburg. It also maintains a satellite campus in Philadelphia, Pa., in association with Temple University.
        http://www.obupride.org/
        OBUPride is made up of gay, lesbian, bisexual, transgender,

        and ally persons who attended, are attending, employed by or associated with

        Oklahoma Baptist University.

        Hope this helps I know that there are many organizations for GLBT Alumni of various colleges and universities. I tried to link to the Baylor University group for the alumni from there and the site is not working at the moment. Baylor is a Baptist University in Waco. Texas.
        So, you are currently at Liberty University, eh?
        Joe