Exodus Becoming More Extreme?

    Message 1 of 2 , Mar 18, 2003
      Has anyone else noticed that Exodus North America seems to be
      becoming more extreme right-wing and anti-gay? Previously, it
      seemed to me that Exodus limited its focus on issues directly
      related to "ex-gay" therapy. But since Alan Chambers was made
      Executive Director and the Exodus headquarters moved to Orlando,
      I've noticed that the Exodus website news posts have been much more
      opinionated and anti-gay.

      For example, today's Exodus news post included a report about
      GLAAD's campaign against Michael Savage's tv show. The news item
      carefully states that Exodus does not support Savage's viewpoints,
      but critizes the gay community for "censor[ing]" and "intimidat
      [ing]".

      What in the world does the anti-Savage campaign have to do with ex-
      gay therapy? I don't remember any Exodus material regarding the
      stopdrlaura campaign earlier. Previously, I always felt Exodus
      specifically avoiding getting involved in such gay vs. anti-gay
      social politics. But maybe I was wrong.

      - Norm! (nojam75@...)
    • Steve Boese
      Message 2 of 2 , Mar 19, 2003
        Hey Norm,

        Yup, the clearest shift that I've seen within Exodus is toward increasingly
        political activity.

        In the past, questions of a political nature were politely rebuffed more
        often than not. Alan Chambers got involved in speaking to the Orlando city
        issues (supposedly as an individual, not representing Exodus) and the
        language used in their communications has gotten more harsh at times.

        Alan and the Exodus press person, Randy Thomas, have had reasonably
        respectful conversations and friendships with gay folk in the past who I've
        heard have attempted to ask questions about the recent shifts; I don't think
        those conversations have really gone anywhere.

        --Steve