A call for the middle ground.

  • pumpdup1
    Message 1 of 2165 , Feb 29, 2000
      Hey ya'll! Very interesting converstion going on
      here. I'd like to share my experience; one that I
      haven't heard anyone articulate yet. I came from a very
      religious background and absorbed all the attendant
      homophobia that comes from such. Then, when I started
      college, I came out of the closet with a vengence! I was
      very gay, and quite beligerent about it. At that time,
      I would have shouted down anyone who suggested
      homosexuality was a choice. But now, a little older, and a
      little wiser (or so I like to think), I find a strange
      thing occuring. I'm not sure if I'm experiencing latent
      hetrosexuality, or what. But in any case, the idea of a sexual
      relationship with a women has become more appealing. I have
      always formed close emotional bonds with women. In fact,
      one of my best (girl) friends and I have half
      jokingly and half seriously made a pact to get married if
      we both haven't found Mr. Right by the time we are
      35. So, my take on this whole thing is that, because
      I have fully accepted and experienced my gay
      desire, I am now more open to the wide variety of sexual
      experience. I feel that had I tried to do as my religion
      suggested, and suppressed and repressed my gay feelings, I
      would have spent my entire life in distress and inner
      turmoil. In fact, I probably would have committed suicide
      due to the intensity of my religious upbringing (and
      the intensity of my gay feelings.) It seems to me
      that the religious intolerants are ultimatly making
      the problem worse, causing gays to either live with
      feelings of guilt and self-hate, or causing them to react
      in violent opposition in order to protect their
      inner sence of integrity. Ironically, if the
      intolerants would simply allow and encourage people to
      ACTUALLY HAVE THE FEELINGS THAT THEY HAVE (a novel
      concept--wow--you mean it would be okay to actually have the
      feelings that we are having??), then some of them
      (certainly not all) might one day move beyond a purely
      homosexual identity to something that is more inclusive. And
      by this I don't mean to imply that being gay is
      "just a phase." I'm simply suggesting that maybe
      sexuality is much more fluid than our rigid catagories give
      credit to. So where I'm at right now in life, is thus:
      I'm a little bit uncomfortable with anyone either
      insisting that gay is a choice, or that it isn't. That's
      life. A grand paradox, wherin the riddle is only solved
      in the living of it. Peace!
      Message 2165 of 2165 , Aug 10, 2003