Be Yourself

  • gunnyding
    Message 1 of 2165 , Jan 30, 2000
      Steven Covey, in his "Seven Habits of Highly
      Effective People" says that<br>we need to "begin with the
      end in mind". That is good advice in any<br>major
      project. That's why I can't imagine that God didn't do
      this when<br>you and I were first created. Surely God
      began our creation with a<br>certain end in mind.
      just what that<br>"end" might be seems to take a
      life-time. I love that statement of<br>intent by Soren
      Kierkegaard who said: "Now, with God's help, I
      spent our lives wearing clothes<br>fashion designers
      said would make us cool and driving the cars
      that<br>advertisers said would make us hot. We have taken our cue
      from others<br>about how we are to act and speak and
      think. Experts told us what was<br>cultured and what was
      uncouth. Teachers taught us what was proper
      and<br>improper. Parents showed us the right ways to act and
      respond. All our<br>lives we have become what others said
      we should be. We have allowed<br>everyone to shape
      us except for God.<br><br>Who did God create you to
      be? What was God dreaming would happen on the<br>day
      that you were born? What hopes and longings did God
      see in your<br>innocent tiny face? Where did the real
      you go?<br><br>I used to think that the church was
      yet another force in the world<br>trying to help me
      become what it thought I should be. That
      wasn't<br>necessarily a bad thing. After all the church tried to teach
      me to be<br>kind, compassionate, and honest. Yet,
      that was somewhat like the fashion<br>I wear or the
      car I drive. What the Holy Spirit has been trying to
      do<br>is help me grow into the spiritual being I was
      originally intended to<br>be. God wants to help me become my
      truest self.<br><br>Ironically we live in an age that is
      both radically individualistic and<br>at the same time
      terrified of being queer. The Spirit is trying
      to<br>connect us together in true community and empower us to
      own our unique identity. A Rabbi of many years ago
      named Zusia said it powerfully like this: "When I stand
      before God to give an accounting of myself at the end of
      all time I will not have to explain why I was not
      Moses. I will have to explain why I was not Zusia."
      Message 2165 of 2165 , Aug 10, 2003