Un-Christlike

  • Lisa Diguardi
    Message 1 of 3 , Sep 29, 2002
      I've heard many times that one cannot be gay and Christlike, and
      therefore cannot be gay and Christian. This is what I have
      determined from my own experiences.

      I know a couple, both men, who have been together 34
      years--almost as long as I've been alive. They have loved each
      other, cared for each other, and sacrificed for each other. They
      have made family and God and serving those who are less
      fortunate a priority in their lives. They never refuse a request
      to help a friend, and they have done without things they wanted
      in order to put the needs of another ahead of themselves. They
      have been faithful to each other and supported each other's
      dreams and goals. If this isn't Christlike, what is?

      If I believed God was going to punish them for such unselfish
      devotion to each other, I couldn't even respect God, much less
      entrust the direction of my life to God.

      Christ told us to love. He didn't specify that there could only
      be one kind of love, that it had to be between people of
      opposite sex and the same race and similar ages and social
      classes so that some people would not be made uncomfortable by
      the love of others. With all the hate that exists in the world,
      and all the pain it causes, why put so much energy into trying
      to make some people miserable because of who they love?

      http://sbc.yahoo.com
    • BearJER@juno.com
      Message 2 of 3 , Sep 29, 2002
        Lisa, I am sure the guys you are talking about are wonderful and I would
        not question their walk with God or sincerity. But that does not answer
        the question of whether it is God's perfect will for us to have sex with
        someone of the same sex. That is the issue some of us are addressing
        here. I, for one, want to arrive at the real truth, whatever that may
        be, but really base it on the Bible. Because if we call ourselves
        Christians, then that is our standard of right and wrong. I can't speak
        for others, but I have not and will not attack anyone's sincerity or
        their Christianity. God looks on our heart and he is our judge.

        Thanks for listening,

        Jerry

        On Sun, 29 Sep 2002 15:38:34 -0700 (PDT) Lisa Diguardi
        <diguardi@...> writes:

        > I've heard many times that one cannot be gay and Christlike, and
        > therefore cannot be gay and Christian. This is what I have
        > determined from my own experiences.
        >
        > I know a couple, both men, who have been together 34
        > years--almost as long as I've been alive. They have loved each
        > other, cared for each other, and sacrificed for each other. They
        > have made family and God and serving those who are less
        > fortunate a priority in their lives. They never refuse a request
        > to help a friend, and they have done without things they wanted
        > in order to put the needs of another ahead of themselves. They
        > have been faithful to each other and supported each other's
        > dreams and goals. If this isn't Christlike, what is?
        >
        > If I believed God was going to punish them for such unselfish
        > devotion to each other, I couldn't even respect God, much less
        > entrust the direction of my life to God.
        >
        > Christ told us to love. He didn't specify that there could only
        > be one kind of love, that it had to be between people of
        > opposite sex and the same race and similar ages and social
        > classes so that some people would not be made uncomfortable by
        > the love of others. With all the hate that exists in the world,
        > and all the pain it causes, why put so much energy into trying
        > to make some people miserable because of who they love?

        GET INTERNET ACCESS FROM JUNO!
        http://dl.www.juno.com/get/web/.
      • hippymanedude
        Message 3 of 3 , Oct 3, 2002
          I was left with a few thoughts and a lot of questions after reading
          this.

          Isn't unselfish devotion and sacrifice what God wants from us?
          Isn't it reasonable for He who created us to ask for our devotion to
          Him above all others? It's not a person's lover who created that
          person, or who's the reason one is alive... God created all people.
          If a man or woman loves another person more than God - to the point
          where that person would do anything for the other (including
          disobeying God)... then what? What does that unselfish love become
          then? What does that mean for a Christian?

          God tells us to love. However, is it right for a father who truly
          loves his daughter to have sex with her as a natural extension of
          that love? Or a brother to love his sister in that way? How do you
          define natural? That love for the sister or daughter is natural,
          and the extension of sex may feel natural too... if it feels
          natural, then is it ok to act on?

          How do you define love? Is there "Godly love" and "unGodly love"?
          How do you define sin? Where do you draw the lines, and why? How
          does one determine what is love and what is sin?

          I always thought of part of love as respect, and part of respect as
          keeping boundaries Was I mistaken? Does love know , or know no
          boundaries? Should it? Can there be love with or without
          boundaries? And if there are no boundaries, is there respect in
          love? And what does that mean?