The Gospel of Grace

    Message 1 of 41 , Sep 17, 2002
      I found a much better depiction of the gospel of grace than the one
      I perhaps not so successfully articulated in my last couple of
      posts. I thought this one much better encapsulates what authentic
      Christianity is all about. More importantly, this is what Jesus is
      about. This is who He is. And this is why those who encounter Him,
      cling to Him, to his Word and desire to know Him better. And this
      is what, sadly, far too many of the "ex-gay" ministries completely
      miss. I hope some of our readers will find some authentic comfort
      in these truths.

      Because salvation is by grace though faith, I believe that among the
      countless number of people standing in front of the throne and in
      front of the Lamb, dressed in white robes and holding palms in their
      hands (Rev 7:9), I shall see the prostitute from the Kit-Kat Ranch
      in Carson City, Nevada, who tearfully told me she could find no
      other employment to support her two-year old son; I shall see the
      woman who had an abortion and is haunted by guilt and remorse but
      did the best she could faced with grueling alternatives; the
      businessman besieged with debt who sold his integrity in a series of
      desperate transactions; the insecure clergyman addicted to being
      liked, who never challenged his people from the pulpit and longed
      for unconditional love; the sexually-abused teen molested by his
      father and now selling his body on the street, who, as he falls
      asleep each night after his last trick, whispers the name of the
      unknown God he learned about in Sunday school; the deathbed convert
      who for decades had his cake and ate it, broke every law of God and
      man, wallowed in lust and raped the earth.

      "But how," we ask? Then the voice says, "They have washed their
      robes and made them white in the blood of the Lamb." There they
      are. There we are -- the multitude who so wanted to be faithful,
      who at times got defeated, soiled by life, and bested by trials,
      wearing the bloodied garments of life's tribulations, but through it
      all clung to the faith. If this is not good news to you, you have
      never understood the gospel of grace.
      Message 41 of 41 , Oct 1, 2002
        --- In exexgayministry@y..., BearJER@j... wrote:
        > Dave, I really am a pretty sensitive guy (if you knew me
        personally) and
        > I care a lot about peoples' feelings. So, no way am I trying to
        cause
        > trouble. I asked to be on this group so you could all convince me
        it was
        > in accordance with Biblical teaching for me to accept my gayness
        and no
        > longer even desire to see a change in behavior or orientation,
        either
        > one.

        Jerry, this really is NOT the group for accomplishing that. This is
        a support group for those who have already settled that in their mind
        and friends of those folks. One problem has been when people come
        here to debate. This is NOT a debate group.

        >People can always use flowery words to argue their position, but
        > the Bible tells us to "prove all things and to hold fast to that
        which is
        > good." But I would LOVE for you guys to prove your position by the
        > Bible.

        Jerry, you are arguing an interpretation of a book written two-
        thousand years ago in a language being translated into a totally
        different language that did not even exist back then. Then there is
        the complex cultural context of those writings compared with
        contemporary culture. What may appear to be "flowery words" to you
        is really an attempt to do what in many cases is almost impossible
        with the texts.

        Remember that the Jesus literally said, "I am the door." Do you
        believe that? Jesus said the mustard seed is the smallest seed. Any
        third-grade kid knows THAT is not true. But Jesus said it, if we
        quote an English translation of that passage out of context! The
        Bible says that if your eye causes you to sin, then pluck it out. Do
        you believe that? Did you do it? The Bible also says that if your
        hand causes you to sin, then cut off your hand. Do you believe
        that? Did you do it?

        Was Jesus just using flowery words?

        I always suggest www.truluck.com as a good basic primer on the
        Biblical issue.