Re:[ExExGayMinistry] Re: My Faith Journey

    Message 1 of 12 , Aug 27, 2002
      Thanks for your gracious words re: the post, Don. I'm afraid this
      particular one wasn't from Norm, but from me. It was my reply to
      our brother Jerry who responded to an earlier post I wrote. He
      wanted to know why I had a "militant attitude" (I think that was the
      term he used) toward the "ex-gay" movement. I thought it was a
      fair question deserving an honest answer. Sadly, though Jerry pops
      in from time to time and communicates a sincere interest in
      discussing some of these critical and timely issues, he never seems
      to stick around long enough to dialog. Hopefully he'll return...

      --- In exexgayministry@y..., calldon2k <no_reply@y...> wrote:
      > --- In exexgayministry@y..., nyguy_1225 <no_reply@y...> wrote:
      > > That's an excellent question, Jerry. And if you're sincere in
      > > wanting me to answer it, I would say yes, they may become more
      > > adjusted in some ways but no, homosexual people do not become
      > > heterosexual. Let me try to explain: Their gravest error is
      > > confusing a change in behavior with a change in orientation.
      > > people in our society generally grow up feeling "different from"
      > > and "less than" their non-gay counterparts. They're often made
      > > feel they do not measure up and often suffer rejection, ridicule
      > and
      > > often incur deep hurt -- physically, emotionally,
      > > and/or sexually. And gay people are strongly affected by the
      > > negative attitudes of the church on homosexuality. It's hard
      > > enough growing up under the best of circumstances but when this
      > > other stuff is added to their plate the resulting poor self-
      > > depression and fear can be a severe blow to a fragile
      > Norm...EXCELLENT POST!!!
      > I sent this to a couple of friends, one, of whom, is a Baptist
      > preacher with whom I used to be associated. (I worked with his
      > brother) We were out of touch for almost 20 years, since I left
      > ministry in the middle of the night back in 1982. He has had a
      > transformation and sees the futility in the strong, legalistic way
      > both used to approach the Scriptures. He now knows my story and
      > attitude. I think he will appreciate hearing someone else (you)
      > almost EXACTLY what I said many times, almost word-per-word!
      > Thanks for the excellent way you expressed yourself.
      > D*
    • Mike Dark
      Message 2 of 12 , Sep 20, 2002
        I have totally rejected all the 'ex-gay' stuff as it never began to
        deal with my needs as a sexual and spiritual being. I have been
        greatly helped by the exposition of Scripture from a different
        standpoint. I would heartly recommend
        http://www.reluctantjourney.co.uk/. It is written by an evangelical
        Methodist lay preacher who has come to accept gay people and their

        God bless you all.

        Yours in Christ,

        Mike Dark

        --- In exexgayministry@y..., Jerry <BearJER@j...> wrote:
        > Norm and Dave, I don't mean to butt in, but you mentioned about
        having feelings of inadequacy and guilt from your experience with the
        ex-gay movement. Nothing could be farther from the truth in my
        experience. I went to a conference today and heard testimonies of
        guys and gals that gained a lot of freedom in the area of sexual
        identity problems they went through, but there was no condemnation,
        no guilt. They are decidedly more happny and content now then they
        were before. I'm not sure why you guys had such a bad experience.
        Apparently, there must be legalistic groups out there who made you
        feel that way. But the group I went through in Michigan did not in
        any way make me feel guilty or more inadequate. Just the opposite.
        Don't lump all ex-gay ministries together. There are a lot of
        differences on all sides of the fence.