Re: [ExExGayMinistry] Digest Number 47

  • Pat Scott
    Message 1 of 5 , Jun 9, 2002
      I think evangelism can be verbally and emotionally violent- Ive experienced real cruelty in the name of God, and the scripture. In fact, its driven me away from God more often than to Him. God's people, or those who style themselves as such can be really scary. Pat

      "Lots of Love and Laughter!!!"

    • Michael Airhart
      Message 2 of 5 , Jun 9, 2002
        I think evangelism can be violent when it is practiced as a one-way
        affair.

        Evangelism can two-way: People with different faith perspectives have an
        opportunity to learn and benefit from one another.

        When an evangelist twists his communication into a one-way lecture, he
        is not seeking God in his own spiritual journey, nor is he seeking to
        aid others in their journeys.

        -- Mike
      • nojam75
        Message 3 of 5 , Jun 10, 2002
          --- In exexgayministry@y..., "Michael Airhart" <mairhart@i...> wrote:
          > I think evangelism can be violent when it is practiced as a one-way
          > affair.
          >
          > Evangelism can two-way: People with different faith perspectives
          have an
          > opportunity to learn and benefit from one another.
          >
          > When an evangelist twists his communication into a one-way
          lecture, he
          > is not seeking God in his own spiritual journey, nor is he seeking
          > aid others in their journeys.
          >
          > -- Mike

          Excellent points! I had a thought along those lines, but I couldn't
          figure out how to word it.

          - Norm!
        • Michael Airhart
          Message 4 of 5 , Jun 11, 2002
            Or, to be even more succinct:

            Good evangelists facilitate others' spiritual and material journeys.
            They don't dictate and they don't subtract, spiritually or materially,
            from others.

            -- Mike

          • BearJER@juno.com
            Message 5 of 5 , Jun 11, 2002
              Yes, but that's not the kind of evangelism that Jesus and the Bible
              teaches.

              Jerry

              On Sun, 9 Jun 2002 10:37:56 -0700 (PDT) Pat Scott <patthecatwv@...>
              writes:
              > I think evangelism can be verbally and emotionally violent- Ive
              > experienced real cruelty in the name of God, and the scripture. In
              > fact, its driven me away from God more often than to Him. God's
              > people, or those who style themselves as such can be really scary.
              > Pat
              >
              > "Lots of Love and Laughter!!!"

              GET INTERNET ACCESS FROM JUNO!
              http://dl.www.juno.com/get/web/.