David Schmader's "Straight"

  • nojam75
    Message 1 of 2 , Apr 27, 2002
      I saw David Schmader's one-man show, "Straight", last night.
      Schmader is a gay reporter who went undercover in the ex-gay
      movement ministries after the 1998 ex-gay ad campaign. In his show,
      he re-tells his experiences undergoing counseling with a
      professional psychiatrist, attending group sessions at Seattle ex-
      gay ministry, and attending an ex-gay retreat in Texas. I related
      to so many of his experiences such as the conflicting sexual
      tension, attempting to understand the ex-gay theory to the roots of
      homosexuality, the sad (but funny) attempts of gays & lesbians
      acting straight, and the reluctance to admit to the ex-gay half-
      truths. Of course, when I went through the ex-gay lifestyle, I
      wasn't a detached gay reporter -- so my experience wasn't quite as
      funny.

      I believe that anyone who has survived ex-gay treatment, at some
      point, recognizes the humor from the bizarre experience. There have
      been attempts convey this humor like the movie "But I'm a
      Cheerleader" and ex-gay television episodes such as "Will & Grace".
      But I think Schmader's performance represents a more accurate
      experience -- for me at least. He doesn't just turn the ex-gay
      movement into a silly parody, but discusses some of the ex-gay
      criticism of the supposed "gay lifestyle". I read a local
      review of "Straight" from a gay columnist who was disappointed that
      Schmader didn't do the usual, exaggerated ex-gay parody. And in
      some sense "Straight" is not as entertaining as a parody, but it is
      a more authentic representation of the experience.

      I think Schmader's show originally debut in 2000 and Exodus even
      launched a press release
      (http://www.exodusnorthamerica.org/news/pressrel/a0000408.html)
      praising the additional attention the show would bring their
      ministry. StageDirect, Inc., which is where I saw the performance,
      plans to release Schmader's show sometime in July
      (http://www.stagedirect.com).

      - Norm! (nojam75@...)