Anyone seen or heard about "Straight"?

  • nojam75
    Message 1 of 2 , Apr 23, 2002
      Has anyone seen the one-man show "Straight"? It's a comedy about an
      undercover investigation into the conversion programs. It's back in
      Portland this weekend and I'm going to try and see it.

      - Norm!
    • nojam75
      Message 2 of 2 , Apr 27, 2002
        I saw David Schmader's one-man show, "Straight", last night.
        Schmader is a gay reporter who went undercover in the ex-gay
        movement ministries after the 1998 ex-gay ad campaign. In his show,
        he re-tells his experiences undergoing counseling with a
        professional psychiatrist, attending group sessions at Seattle ex-
        gay ministry, and attending an ex-gay retreat in Texas. I related
        to so many of his experiences such as the conflicting sexual
        tension, attempting to understand the ex-gay theory to the roots of
        homosexuality, the sad (but funny) attempts of gays & lesbians
        acting straight, and the reluctance to admit to the ex-gay half-
        truths. Of course, when I went through the ex-gay lifestyle, I
        wasn't a detached gay reporter -- so my experience wasn't quite as
        funny.

        I believe that anyone who has survived ex-gay treatment, at some
        point, recognizes the humor from the bizarre experience. There have
        been attempts convey this humor like the movie "But I'm a
        Cheerleader" and ex-gay television episodes such as "Will & Grace".
        But I think Schmader's performance represents a more accurate
        experience -- for me at least. He doesn't just turn the ex-gay
        movement into a silly parody, but discusses some of the ex-gay
        criticism of the supposed "gay lifestyle". I read a local
        review of "Straight" from a gay columnist who was disappointed that
        Schmader didn't do the usual, exaggerated ex-gay parody. And in
        some sense "Straight" is not as entertaining as a parody, but it is
        a more authentic representation of the experience.

        I think Schmader's show originally debut in 2000 and Exodus even
        launched a press release
        (http://www.exodusnorthamerica.org/news/pressrel/a0000408.html)
        praising the additional attention the show would bring their
        ministry. StageDirect, Inc., which is where I saw the performance,
        plans to release Schmader's show sometime in July
        (http://www.stagedirect.com).

        - Norm! (nojam75@...)