Re: Christianity Today Treads on Thin Ice

  • nojam75
    Message 1 of 3 , Mar 24 10:11 AM
      I finally got a chance to read the March 11, 2002, Christianity Today
      article, "No Easy Victory", by Anonymous
      (http://www.christianitytoday.com/ct/2002/003/2.50.html). This is an
      amazingly candid article for an evangelical publication to print. Its
      concluding message about the double standard in which many Christians
      sigmatize homosexuality as a worse 'sin' and marginalize homosexuals
      as worse 'sinners' is nothing new or surprising. What is surprising
      is how honest Anonymous is about his endless struggle against his
      homosexuality.

      Like the January 7, 2002 CT interview with Bob Davies, the
      conservative Christian message seems to be shifting from 'gays can
      change' to 'gays can only change their behavior'. Anonymous
      specifically states, "...my sexual orientation did not change;" and
      "But for all my trying, all I've managed to do is control the
      behavioral manifestations of my sexual orientation." He even
      identifies himself as "gay" and "homosexual" while carefully asserting
      that he is not in favor of homosexuality and has a "fulfilling
      heterosexual life" with his wife.

      Although Anonymous' description of his homosexuality ("I am broken",
      "emotional attractions and attachments to other men", etc.) fits
      almost word-for-word with reparative therapy and ex-gay theories,
      ex-gay treatment or reparative therapy are not specifically mentioned.
      In fact, I assume they were purposely avoided because Anonymous does
      not portray a very flattering picture of the ex-gay lifestyle. He
      admits to having "self-hate" and "recurring bouts of almost suicidal
      depression" and admits that the "daily" battle against his sexuality
      has come at "considerable psychological cost to me and to my family".
      (Golly, I want to become ex-gay too! Where do I sign up?)

      It will be interesting to see if CT is willing to share Anonymous'
      ex-gay lifestyle whenever they do another ex-gay promotion article
      like the Davies interview.

      - Norm! (nojam@...)

      Message 2 of 3 , Mar 26 12:27 AM
        --- In exexgayministry@y..., nojam75 <no_reply@y...> wrote:
        > I finally got a chance to read the March 11, 2002, Christianity
        Today
        > article, "No Easy Victory", by Anonymous
        > (http://www.christianitytoday.com/ct/2002/003/2.50.html). This is
        an
        > amazingly candid article for an evangelical publication to print.

        I am surprised that they magazine published this, considering he
        claimed no victory. In fact, I think the title should have been
        something like:

        NO REAL VICTORY!

        That would have been a more honest title.

        D*