Ex-Gays Promoters vs. Dear Abby

  • nojam75
    Message 1 of 2165 , Feb 4, 2002
      On 01/18/2002, the syndicated newspaper advice
      column "Dear Abby" reprinted an article in which a gay
      man, "UNHAPPY", asked Abby for help to change to
      straight. Unhappy mentioned that he feared coming out would
      hurt his career and that he knew he would be happier
      straight. Abby encouraged Unhappy to accept his
      homosexuality, told him that the chances of turning straight
      were "slim", asked him to consider the lives the wife
      and children he would effect as an ex-gay, and to be
      true to himself (see: <a href=http://www.dearabby.com target=new>http://www.dearabby.com</a> >
      Archives > January 18, 2002 or
      "appalled" by Abby's honest advice. Ex-gay Stephen Bennett
      proclaiming that after ten years he is married w/ kids and no
      longer has "homosexual thoughts, desires or fantasies."
      Bennett is the first ex-gay I have read about or met who
      has claimed not to have same-sex desires or
      fantasies. (see:
      Message 2165 of 2165 , Aug 10, 2003