Cal1of1 - I'm sorry, but you have....

  • ViscountEdwards
    Message 1 of 2165 , Jan 6, 2000
      ....completely misunderstood those Biblical
      texts. It was PRECISELY the matter of circumcision over
      which Paul picked this fight. You need to read them
      again, with a good modern translation.<br><br>Look at
      these passages from Galatians. Chapter two is nothing
      but one long tirade about the VERY ISSUE of
      circumcision:<br><br><< Gal 2:3 My companion Titus, even though he is
      Greek, was not forced to be CIRCUMCISED, 2:4 although
      some wanted it done....>> [emphasis
      added]<br><br><< Gal 2:11-12 But when Peter came to Antioch, I
      opposed him in public, because he was clearly wrong.
      Before some men who had been sent by James arrived
      there, Peter had been eating with the Gentile believers.
      But after these men arrived, he drew back and would
      not eat with the Gentiles, because he was afraid of
      those who were in favor of CIRCUMCISING them. >>
      [emphasis added]<br><br><< Gal 2:14 When I saw that
      they were not walking a straight path in line with the
      truth of the gospel, I said to Peter in front of them
      all, "You are a Jew, yet you have been living like a
      Gentile, not like a Jew. How, then, can you try to force
      Gentiles to live like Jews?" >><br><br>Paul was
      expanding his point there to include all Jewish Law in
      general, but circumcision is most definitely the theme
      that got him started. Back up to the first chapter to
      understand what was motivating him:<br><br><< Gal.
      1:13 You have been told how I used to live when I was
      devoted to the Jewish religion, how I persecuted without
      mercy the church of God and did my best to destroy
      it.>><br><br>What you are seeing is a convert's zealotry on Paul's
      part. He is like an ex-smoker who sets about trying to
      make the entire world stop smoking. <br><br>To deny
      that these writings are FILLED with one man's opinion
      and claim they are literal "Words of God" is to
      simply put up a stone wall, so there's no point in my
      arguing about it with you.
      Message 2165 of 2165 , Aug 10, 2003