Re: GAY OR HOMOSEXUAL; ANY DIFFERENCE?

  • nojam75
    Message 1 of 2165 , Jul 24, 2001
      > ... Sexuality is a given. We can to some
      degree <br>> change our sexual behavior or live a
      life a <br>> denial. But a change in behavior does
      not in any <br>> way translate into a change in
      orientation. <br><br>It appears some ex-gays are beginning to
      agree. According to the Chicago Tribune's July 22, 2001
      article on the ex-gay movement: <br><br>> Perhaps as a
      result of the defections, the <br>> strategy of
      Exodus and other groups appears to <br>> have changed
      dramatically. Rather than emphasize <br>> heterosexuality as
      a goal, most ex-gay <br>> ministries now simply
      push a cessation of <br>> homosexual activity and,
      where possible, desire.<br>> <br>> "The opposite
      of homosexuality is not <br>> heterosexuality;
      it's holiness," said Lance <br>> Hastings, an
      ex-gay Assemblies of God missionary <br>> in Key
      West, Fla. "It's to be set apart by God <br>> so you
      become a man or woman of God."<br>> <br>> "Freedom
      from homosexuality is not necessarily <br>>
      marrying a person of the opposite sex, having <br>> 2.3
      children and a dog in the back yard," said <br>> Tim
      Wilkins, an ex-gay Southern Baptist minister <br>> and
      scheduled speaker at the upcoming Exodus <br>>
      conference. "We have this misunderstanding that <br>>
      people have to be able to physically function as
      end-all."<br>. . . <br>> Wilkins estimates that about 40
      percent of those <br>> who seek to change their sexual
      orientation are <br>> successful enough to have
      heterosexual <br>> relationships. The others, he said, are
      equate to "ex-homosexual", right? Maybe these are
      want to be a Key West missionary, too!)
      Message 2165 of 2165 , Aug 10, 2003