Re: Divinely inspired?

  • analytical_49734
    Message 1 of 2165 , Mar 20, 2001
      I hope you will indulge me one last dialogue on
      this topic; I promise not to venture forth in these
      waters again, but I do feel some clarifications are
      appropriate; <br> First, I personally believe that the New
      Testament WAS inspired by God, and God is its ultimate
      author. Biblical interpretation is another issue, and
      Christians of all persuasions can and do take differing
      approaches to its understanding. If Jesus did not intend for
      his ministry to be given to the ages by way of a
      written scripture, then I believe he would have
      admonished his disciples against any record of his life and
      ministry. The whole concept of the Holy Spirit, of the
      triunal God, is that after his ascension into heaven, he
      remained on this earth, through the Holy Spirit, which
      helped in the formation of both the early Church and the
      gospels themselves. <br> Was Jesus on a book tour? No, he
      was on a fishing expedition; He sought to troll the
      waters of life and fish for mens souls. Many great
      religious leaders throughout history did not personally put
      their philosophies into writing; Socrates relied upon
      Plato, and Mohammed did not codify the Koran; It was
      left to dedicated followers to do so; Certainly, the
      authenticity of any religious or philosophical movement can
      not legitimately be brought into question merely
      because the prophets themselves did not author their own
      scriptures. <br> Second, regarding Pauls letters to the early
      church, and their transformation or acceptance as
      Christian scripture, one can only surmise that this issue
      relies upon a matter of faith; Either one believes in
      the experience that Paul had on the road to Damascus
      or one doesnt. Truly, if the Holy Spirit is leading
      the Church on this earth, surely Pauls letters would
      not be given the prominence within Scripture that
      they presently enjoy if they were not authored by God.
      advocate a literal intepretation of the bible, and while I
      also do not believe the bible is infallible, it
      certainly must be considered divine in origin. To say
      otherwise indicates that one merely looks upon Christianity
      as an interesting academic subject, one worthy of
      only intellectual study, and nothing more. <br> Truly
      for one to call themselves a Christian, they at the
      very least, have to say that Jesus lived, and he was
      divine, and that the New Testament was also of divine
      origin; Good men and women of the faith can disagree over
      basic biblical issues, over how to interpret the bible,
      over many social issues, including homosexuality;
      Denying the divinity of Christ and the New Testament
      cannot in any way be considered evidence of ones
      Christianity; <br> I sense within you a spiritual hunger and a
      great deal of knowledge concerning religious issues.
      You are obviously a learned man; Yet I also sense a
      hardness of heart, and a distance from the Lord, born out
      of that very same intellect; <br> Rest assured, I
      suffer from the same condition most of the time. But
      none of us will ever inherit the kingdom of God
      through our intellects alone. Those born with the
      greatest intellects are many times at a great disadvantage
      concerning faith. <br> Was it not Jesus who said that the
      kingdom of heaven is populated by little children? Those
      who are meek of spirit, full of humility, and who
      allow themselves to be modelers of grace? <br> Let not
      any of us (myself included), allow any intellectual
      pretense or conceit, to interfere with our eternal union
      and communion with the master.
      Message 2165 of 2165 , Aug 10, 2003