Re: 'Proven Reality of Sexual Redemption

  • nojam75
    Message 1 of 2165 , Feb 12, 2001
      My point about the qoute, "the proven reality of
      Sexual Redemption in Christ", was that this statement
      seems to me to imply that Jesus endorses ex-gay
      treatment or at least expressed an opinion about sexuality.
      And to be fair, I suspect liberal/gay Christians are
      just as likely to talk about 'the proven reality of
      sexual liberation in Christ'. However, as far as I am
      aware, Jesus didn't say anything about 'sexual
      redemption' or 'sexual liberation' so these statements are
      basically unbiblical. So what is the source of these
      statements -- divine inspiration? These statements are prime
      examples why I am a biblical skeptic. I believe a first
      century Christian is just as likely as a 'modern'
      Christians to use Jesus' message to endorse his/her own
      beliefs and understanding about the world. <br><br>I
      think it is legitimate to talk about Jesus as a
      mythical figure. Scholars refer to the pre-Easter and
      post-Easter Jesus. The Pre-Easter Jesus is the historic,
      human man and the Post-Easter Jesus is the figure he
      became after his death (and resurrection, if you will).
      Santa Claus is a good analogy. Although Santa is
      supposedly based on a real, historic person, the
      post-holiday Santa Claus has been used to promote everything
      from charitable giving to mattress sales.
      Bible and Jesus' message to endorse their own belief.
      This confused me even when I was a bible-thumping
      ex-gay/evangelical Christian because I couldn't really force myself
      to believe that they were using scriptures
      appropriately. This perversion of scripture is why I believe so
      many gays are so critical of Christianity. <br><br>-
      Norm! (nojam75@...)
      Message 2165 of 2165 , Aug 10, 2003