Is the Bible a Golden Calf?

  • nojam75
    Message 1 of 2165 , Jan 1, 1999
      Thanks for the post, VE. Like many biblical
      stories, Sodom & Gomorrah has been used to justify fear
      and hatred. I don't know if I agree with all of the
      author's conclusions because I'm not a bible scholar. I
      suspect that S&G may have been a story created to explain
      some sort of natural disaster. <br><br>S&G brings up
      Christian Fundamentalism's doctrine that the Bible is the
      inerrant, 'Word Of God'. This has always troubled me
      because for something that was supposedly created by The
      Creator of the Universe, the Bible seems to have some
      unclear and even contridictory messages. Why else would
      we now have thousands of different denominations and
      churches all claiming to have the 'true' message of the
      Bible? <br><br>It is obvious that many individuals,
      organizations, and churches have used the Bible for their own
      purposes. Like the Golden Calf in the Old Testament, the
      Bible has become an object of worship that says what
      Fundamentalists want it to say. Fundamentalists avoid
      accountability by simply saying that the Bible "told me to do
      it". For instance, in American history the Bible has
      been used to justify slavery, restricting women
      equality, restricting civil rights, wars, physical child
      abuse, murder, and of course homophobia. <br><br>It is
      amazing that Fundamentalists spend enourmous amounts of
      time, energy, and money on promoting and 'defending'
      the Bible. And yet in the end, most Christians are
      clueless about the origins and history of the Bible and
      Fundamentalism. I think it is obvious that Fundamentalists avoid
      critical analysis of the Bible and their own doctrines
      because they suspect that they may find human
      fingerprints on their supposedly Godly creation.
      following two books? They continue this discussion and are
      very readable.<br><br>- _Rescuing the Bible from
      Fundamentalism: A Bishop Rethinks the Meaning of Scripture_ by
      John Shelby Spong (HarperCollins, 1991)<br>- _Stealing
      Jesus: How Fundamentalism Betrays Christianity_ by Bruce
      Bawer (Three Rivers Press, 1997)<br><br>-- Norm
      Message 2165 of 2165 , Aug 10, 2003