NEWS: Ex-Gay Article in _The Advocate_

  • nojam75
    Message 1 of 2165 , Nov 14, 2000
      The November 21, 2000 edition of the 'The
      Advocate' features an article (_After The Fall_) on ex-gay
      ministries. It reviews the Paulk scandal and questions the
      credibility of ex-gay ministies: <br><br>> '"And it�s not
      the first time ex-gays have <br>> been �caught,�
      [Wayne] Besen [of HRC] says. <br>> A founder of Exodus
      was expelled for having <br>> sex with a young
      recruit; Colin Cook, former <br>> head of Homosexuals
      Anonymous, was expelled <br>> for having sex with men who
      were supposedly <br>> trying to change; and Desert
      Stream, a <br>> California ex-gay ministry, settled
      out of <br>> court last summer with a minor who
      accused a <br>> staff person of having sex with
      him."'<br><br>The article concludes with an interview with Scott
      Melendez, leader of a D.C. ex-ex-gay group called Dos
      Equis: <br><br>> '...�The ex-gay movement thrives on
      renewable<br>> resources, on new people coming in all the
      them.�'<br>><br>> For those men and women who want to change,
      �They trusted God with what they thought was <br>>
      the most important thing in life: to become >
      straight. And God didn�t change them. So <br>> obviously
      it was not his will for them to <br>> change.�
      And instead of having to learn how <br>> to be
      heterosexual, he says, ex-gays have <br>> to learn a new
      lesson: �God loves you <br>> exactly the way he
      created you.�'<br><br>Read the entire article:
      Message 2165 of 2165 , Aug 10, 2003