4197Re: New Resources for Ex-Gay Survivors

  • greenakakay07
    Apr 29, 2007
      I thought I would just paste this in for more
      info :http://www.soulforce.org/article/1226
      Home > National Actions > 2007 > Ex-Gay Survivor Conf.

      News
      Apr. 22 - Equality Ride Moves Students at Cedarville University
      Apr. 19 - President of Yellowstone Baptist College Rejects Visitors
      to Campus; Equality Riders Pursue Dialogue on Faith and Sexuality
      Apr. 18 - Equality Ride Visits Gordon College; Members of Nationwide
      Journey of Gay and Straight Young Adult Leaders Dialogue about Anti-
      gay Policy
      Apr. 17 - Brigham Young University Revises Policy on Sexuality;
      Discriminatory Policy Revisted After Soulforce Equality Riders Visit
      Apr. 16 - Eight Arrested at BYU, Two From Church of Latter-Day Saints
      Apr. 16 - Equality Ride Written into Congressional Record and Honored
      by the City of New York
      News Archive

      A thoughtful response to the Exodus International Conference
      WHY
      On June 26 - July 1, 2007, the Annual Exodus International Conference
      will be in Irvine, California, to promote the false message that gay,
      lesbian, bisexual, and transgender (LGBT) people are disordered,
      sinful, and in need of change.
      In response, Soulforce, BeyondExGay.com, and the LGBT Resource Center
      at the University of California-Irvine are proud to present an
      interactive, community-building conference featuring the powerful
      stories of those who have had ex-gay experiences, but now understand
      that their sexual orientation or gender identity can be lived in ways
      that are loving and life-affirming.
      WHO
      This conference is for everyone. If you want to stand in peaceful
      solidarity to lovingly confront the damaging consequences of the ex-
      gay movement - this conference is for you. If you have ever been
      through an ex-gay experience or been damaged by the message that God
      does not love and affirm you - this conference is for you. If your
      child, partner or friend has been through a "change" ministry - this
      conference is for you. If you are confused about the Bible and
      homosexuality, currently in an ex-gay program, or thinking about
      trying to change who you are - this conference is for you. If you are
      in town to attend the Exodus Conference - the Ex-Gay Survivor's
      Conference is definitely for you! Wherever you are on your journey -
      you are welcome at our conference.
      WHAT
      Exodus and its affiliated organizations often use personal stories of
      transformation to market their programs. These stories are also used -
      - implicitly and explicitly -- to justify political opposition to
      LGBT equality.
      By sharing our stories, survivors of ex-gay experiences can become a
      powerful force for social justice. We can create a more honest
      picture of ex-gay programs, reveal the societal pressures that
      influence people to seek change and expose the cynical exploitation
      of ex-gay success stories for political purposes.
      The Ex-Gay Survivor's Conference will offer opportunities and
      resources to help you share stories, practice speaking to the media,
      and reflect on how your story can be used to make a difference. You
      will also be given opportunities to record your own experiences
      through film and on the web.
      Schedule of Events
      Click here for the schedule
      Registration
      Register here for the Ex-Gay Survivor's Conference ($40 registration
      fee - but no one turned away for lack of funds)
      Hotel Accommodation Information
      Doubletree Hotel Irvine Spectrum
      90 Pacifica Avenue
      Irvine, CA 92618
      telephone: 1-949-471-8888
      fax: 1-949-471-8600Ask for the Soulforce special deluxe guest room
      rate of $105.00 Standard/$125.00 Executive Level per night Friday -
      Sunday single or double occupancy stay (Executive Level Upgraded
      Amenities include: Full American Breakfast Buffet Coupons for two
      people, Wine Vouchers for two people, bathrobes, bottled water, high
      speed internet access, turndown service with chocolates). This
      special Soulforce room rate includes:
      Self-parking fee of $7.00 per night waived
      Courtesy roundtrip shuttle service to University of California Irvine
      at a nominal fee of $3 per person each way
      Complimentary roundtrip airport shuttle to John Wayne/Orange County
      Airport
      Complimentary roundtrip shuttle service to the Irvine Spectrum
      Entertainment Center, host to 21 Edwards Cinema's, more than 20
      eateries and 50 cutting-edge retail stores
      Outdoor swimming pool, whirlpool, and fitness center
      A warm welcome and Doubletree's Chocolate Chip Cookies upon arrival
      Note: When making reservations online be sure to use
      the "Group/Convention Code" of SFI.
      Speaker Bios
      Click here to read the speaker bios.
      Questions
      If you have a question that was not covered in the information
      provided above, you can contact Paige Schilt, Soulforce's Media
      Director, at paige@....
      Printable version E-mail this article

      close
      Email Article: The Ex-Gay Survivor's Conference
      Friend's Name:
      Friend's Email:
      Friend's Email (again):
      Your Full Name:
      Your Email:
      Send a copy to yourself
      These email addresses will be used to send on your behalf the
      Soulforce article titled The Ex-Gay Survivor's Conference along with
      any personal message you add below. We will not add either of these
      email addresses to our email list from this form.
      Add a personal message: (optional)

      --- In exexgayministry@yahoogroups.com, Peterson Toscano <p2son@...>
      wrote:

      > Hi, I know that you have shown interest in t the ex-gay movement
      and
      > particularly about those of us who have survived harmful ex-gay
      > experiences. Below is a press release about two new resources for
      > survivors--a web site and a national conference in June that will
      be
      > a direct response to the Exodus ex-gay conference.
      > We are very excited about these developments.
      > The full press release is posted at my blog (copy and paste
      > www.a_musing.blogspot.com) Please feel free to let others know
      about
      > this news.
      > Let me know if you have any questions.
      > Peterson
      >
      > Peterson Toscano
      > Theatrical Performance Activist
      > www.petersontoscano.com
      > SOULFORCE PRESS RELEASE: April 2, 2007
      >
      > For Immediate Release
      >
      > Contact: Paige Schilt, Media Director
      >
      > Cell: 512-659-1771
      >
      > paige@...
      >
      > Peterson Toscano, Beyondexgay.com
      > Cell: 860.680.0639
      > email: peterson@...
      >
      > (Austin, TX)â€"Survivors of ex-gay programs can take advantage of
      two
      > new resources this week. Beyondexgay.com, an online community for
      > those who are healing from ex-gay experiences, will go live
      today.
      > Simultaneously, online registration will begin for The
      Survivor’s
      > Conference: Beyond Ex-gay, a face-to-face event scheduled for June
      29-
      > July 1, and sponsored by beyondexgay.com and Soulforce.
      >
      > Online registration is now available for The Survivor’s
      Conference:
      > Beyond Ex-gay, a face-to-face event scheduled for June 29th
      through
      > July 1st, sponsored by beyondexgay.com and Soulforce.
      >
      > Recent events have brought national attention to the existence of
      > programs intended to modify same-sex desires. While much of that
      > attention has focused on whether sexual orientation is subject to
      > change, beyondexgay.com and The Survivor’s Conference are the
      first
      > efforts to move beyond that debate in order to focus on the
      community
      > of “survivors”â€"people who feel they have experienced more
      harm
      > than benefits from ex-gay programs.
      >
      > “We use the term ‘survivor’ because we want to emphasize the
      > very real psychological trauma that these programs can cause, and
      > also because we want to highlight the strength of the men and
      women
      > who, in spite of enormous pressures, come to accept themselves as
      > they are,” says Jeff Lutes, a practicing psychotherapist and
      > Executive Director of Soulforce (www.soulforce.org).
      >
      > The creators of beyondexgay.com (www.beyondexgay.com), Peterson
      > Toscano and Christine Bakke, talked to hundreds of fellow ex-gay
      > survivors. What they heard, again and again, was that ex-gay
      > experiences brought inner turmoil, confusion and shame.
      >
      > Many survivors acknowledge that some good came of their ex-gay
      > journey. “We grew to understand our sexuality better and in some
      > cases even overcame life-controlling problems,” says Toscano, but
      he
      > is quick to point out that the harm most survivors experience far
      > outweighs the help they receive. The consensus of the major
      medical
      > and mental health organizations is that homosexuality is not a
      > disorder and, therefore, does not need to be cured. The American
      > Psychological Association identifies “depression, anxiety, and
      self-
      > destructive behavior” among the possible risks associated with ex-

      > gay therapies.
      >
      > Toscano spent 17 years and over $30,000 on three continents
      > attempting to change or at least contain his unwanted same-sex
      > attractions. He ultimately endured two years at the Love in Action
      > residential ex-gay program in Memphis, TN.
      >
      > “In the end I was still very gay, but also depressed, isolated
      and
      > nearly faithless,” he says.
      >
      > Toscano, now a Christian Quaker, has since created a one-person
      > comedy about his ex-gay experiences and has presented Doin' Time
      in
      > the Homo No Mo Halfway House and his other work throughout North
      > America, Europe, West Africa and the Caribbean. In spring 2005,
      Bakke
      > contacted Toscano after attending one of his performances.
      >
      > Christine Bakke herself spent more than 4 years trying to change
      her
      > orientation. She moved to Denver in 1998 to become ex-gay and
      > participated in a program affiliated with Exodus International,
      the
      > largest network of ex-gay ministries. In 2003 she realized that
      while
      > she had changed in many areas, her sexual orientation remained the
      > same. Bakke’s story will be featured in the May issue of
      Glamour,
      > which hit newsstands April 10. Toscano will appear as a guest on
      the
      > Tyra Banks Show on April 12.
      >
      > Bakke and Toscano continued to dialogue, and last spring they
      decided
      > it was time to reach out to more ex-gay survivors through the
      > Internet. Together with assistance from their friend, Steve Boese,
      > they form the perfect team: Bakkeâ€"a graphic designer,
      Toscanoâ€"a
      > writer, and Boeseâ€"a web guru and founder of MyOrgHost
      > (www.myorghost.net).
      >
      > Beyondexgay.com currently features diverse narratives from ex-gay
      > survivors. It also provides an array of resources, including
      original
      > articles and art by survivors, as well as links to other sites.
      Soon
      > survivors will have the option to join the community and create a
      > profile. Through an on-line form, they will document and share
      their
      > own ex-gay experiences. Their responses will then be added to a
      > database that will track the variety and scope of ex-gay
      experiences
      > endured by survivors.
      >
      > "The ex-gay experience is unique in many ways. No one understands
      it
      > better than those of us who have been through it. Creating a
      communal
      > space for ex-gay survivors to tell their stories allows us to
      share
      > what led us into an ex-gay lifestyle and ways we have been able to
      > recover from it,” says Bakke.
      >
      > Creating a space for survivors to come together and share their
      > stories was also the impetus behind The Survivor’s Conference:
      > Beyond Ex-Gay. The conference, which will take place June 29th
      > through July 1st at the University of California-Irvine, is co-
      > sponsored by the LGBT Resource Center at UC Irvine.
      >
      > “We chose Irvine because the annual Exodus Freedom Conference is
      > coming to Irvine that week,” says Lutes. “For Soulforce,
      > beyondexgay.com, and the LGBT Resource Center at UC Irvine, it is
      > very important to provide a positive response to the Exodus
      message
      > that gay men and lesbians are sinful and disordered.”
      >
      > If you want to stand in peaceful solidarity to lovingly confront
      the
      > damaging consequences of the ex-gay movement â€" this conference
      is
      > for you. If you have ever been through an ex-gay experience or
      been
      > damaged by the message that God does not love and affirm you â€"
      this
      > conference is for you. If you are confused about the Bible and
      > homosexuality, currently in an ex-gay program, or thinking about
      > trying to change who you are â€" this conference is for you.
      >

      > Schedule of Events
      >
      > Friday, June 29, 2007, 7pm - 9pm, Crystal Cove Auditorium (free
      and
      > open to the public): Doing time in the Homo No Mo Halfway House:
      How
      > I survived the Ex-gay Movement - a performance by Peterson
      Toscano,

      http://www.soulforce.org/