3494Re: [ExExGayMinistry] Ms. Drespapa

  • Jayelle Wiggins
    Mar 1, 2005
      And these days in NYC, my wife and I see that queer
      men our age (I'm 30, she's 29) have way more sense
      than that. Things change, dude. Gayness or biness
      doesn't automatically have to lead to the kind of
      horrible and lethal scene you described.

      --Jayelle

      --- Korry Korry <korrykorrykoan@...> wrote:

      > --- drespapa <drespapa@...> wrote:
      > > If by "flamed" you mean notes of disagreement,
      > I'll
      > > be the first. You are
      > > making broad generalizations and judgments based
      > > (supposedly) on your own
      > > experience. I defy you to name ONE sleazy
      >
      > What a joke,drespapa. Supposedly? As if in reality
      > were the Church Lady from SNL and I merely repeating
      > rumors I culled off the �net?
      >
      > Dude, I grew just outside of Manhattan, and got into
      > the cruising scene just before the advent of herpes
      > and then AIDS. I used to read Richard Goldstein and
      > the late Arthur Bell in the Village Voice and took
      > seriously their espousal of gay promiscuity as a
      > revolutionary, progressive behavior. The ads in the
      > Voice, the New York Native, et al, et cetera for the
      > bathhouses and gay porn palaces pushed the same
      > message. At the same time, when William Friedkin
      > was
      > filming "Cruising" on the lower east side, huge
      > crowds
      > protested this supposedly stereotyping of gay men as
      > kinky and promiscous.
      >
      > Then lo and behold, AIDS reared its ugly head and
      > cut
      > a wide swath of destruction because of the very high
      > level of promiscuity among gay men in urban centers.
      >
      > Drespapa, I was there, I saw what went on with my
      > own
      > eyes.
      >
      > Later on I worked as an AIDS-prevention counselor,
      > and
      > at the conferences I attended, no one tried to
      > whitewash the fact that gay men have WAY more sex
      > than
      > anybody else.
      >
      > Yes, the dysfunction I described does happen in the
      > straight community, but proportionally it happens to
      > far greater extent in the gay male community.
      >
      > Just a few other things about myself. I am
      > professional writer, I have a degree in Religious
      > Studies (departmental honors) with minors in
      > Journalism, Literature, and Theatre. I have had what
      > William James described as a variety of religious
      > experiences (that is supernatural ones, from
      > experiences of the Spirit to encounters with the
      > departed), and I think whole ex-gay movement is
      > profoundly misguided, but it also touches upon
      > certain
      > core truths and realities that gay men would be
      > better
      > off acknowledging.

      =====
      "As far as I know, nobody is handing out prizes, tangible or otherwise, for endurance of life its ownself. In my experience, if you ignore your life, it will pretty much ignore you right back."--Jill Conner Browne, the Sweet Potato Queens' Field Guide to Men

      http://www.livejournal.com/~princesswitch

      http://mail.yahoo.com
    • Show all 17 messages in this topic