3095Re: Greetings!

    Aug 12, 2004
      Hi Kurt and everyone! Thanks for joining our group and sharing your
      stories. Wow, Kurt, what a lousy day to pick to move cross
      country.

      I'm a rare native Portlander and, similar to you, I "came out" at a
      college ministry about nine years ago when I was 19. I participated
      in the local ex-gay group, The Portland Fellowship, for almost two
      years (I also earned an "ex-gay diploma"). However, I realized that
      I was worse off than I when I started and decided to re-think the ex-
      gay and fundamentalist Christian ideas. Also similar to your
      journey, I started a Yahoo! group, this one, to hopefully share
      experiences with other former ex-gay participants.

      I haven't participated in this group lately, but I am glad that
      nyguy has continued the group.

      Norm! aka nojam75

      --- In exexgayministry@yahoogroups.com, "Kurt" <koenbear@y...> wrote:
      > Hello all,
      >
      > I just joined the group and thought I would put out a quick
      > introduction.
      >
      > My name is Kurt and I live with my partner in Portland, OR. I am
      > now 33 but was a part of the ex-gay movement for about 10 years.
      > came out at 18, but quickly went back in the closet at 19 when I
      had
      > a conversion experience and started going to a conservative
      > Christian church. My involvement in a local ex-gay ministry in
      the
      > San Jose, CA area started at about the same time. I spent 2 years
      > in that program and even got a diploma showing that I had
      graduated.

      > A few years later, in my mid-20's, I went back to school in
      > Minnesota to study for the ministry in the Wisconsin Evangelical
      > Lutheran Synod. In school, I was told not to tell people even
      that
      > I "had been" gay, so I was completely closeted, both as gay and ex-
      > gay. Wanting someone to talk to I created a Yahoo group called
      611
      > (from 1 Corinthians 6:11). That list was grew to about 100 people
      > and was around for a few years.
      >
      > In my ministry life, I had been assigned as a minister in San
      > Antonio, TX. While I was there, I was told that I was being
      > considered for a ministry position at a small congregation in
      > Brazil. The catch: they don't normally send single guys on
      foreign
      > missions. So, thinking it was what God wanted for my life, I got
      > married, was assigned to Brazil and moved there in November.
      >
      > Brazil is where the shit hit the fan. Our marriage did not go
      > well. On a trip back to the U.S. issues about my sexuality came
      > out. Long story short: I was told that I wasn't fit for ministry
      > because I might molest a teenager (never mind that I had no
      history
      > of that or anything that might indicate I would).
      >
      > On September 10th of 2001 I left my wife, my career, and my
      church.
      > I stayed overnight in a motel in San Antonio, TX intending to fly
      > Portland, OR the next day. That never happened because of the
      > terrorist attacks in New York and at the Pentagon. Instead I
      drove
      > the 2,4000 miles and attmepted to start my life over.
      >
      > The good news is that there is a happy ending: I met my partner 2
      > weeks after I got here. That was 3 years ago. We just bought a
      > home together. I am back in school pursuing a Masters of
      Divinity,
      > and I am a candidate for ordination in the United Church of Christ.
      >
      > Sorry for the long post. I just wanted to make a quick
      introduction
      > and let y'all know that I'm here.
      >
      > You can read about stuff I write about here:
      > http://outsidethebox.blogs.com
      >
      > Any Livejournal users out there?
      >
      > Blessings!
      > Kurt