2715Re: www.AnythingButStraight.com

    Mar 18 4:40 AM
      YOU WROTE: "I hope you allow for people to both be Christian and not
      believe that the Bible is 100% inspired and accurate. Many (if not
      most) Christians have long abandoned the idea that the Bible is
      perfect. This does not make one less of a Christian."

      MY REPLY: I'm not certain that your query was directed at me since
      you replied to two people with some very divergent views in your one
      post. However, if it was directed to me, let me try to clarify for
      you what I do believe.

      First, I would like to say that I believe Christianity is richer,
      fuller, wider and deeper than any one person or group's expression
      of it and therefore in the final analysis only God can made a
      dertmination as to who is and who is not a Christian. Secondly, I
      would like to clear up the misconception that if one believes the
      Bible is inspired one must also believe we should simply apply
      literal and/or wooden interpretations to any law or portion of
      Scripture. Jesus never did such a foolish thing and neither should
      we. He looked at and spoke about the original purpose of it. The
      radical consequences which resulted from Jesus looking at the
      Sabbath in this way are clear in all four Gospels and would be a
      good illustration of this point. He flagrantly disregarded the
      onerous rabbinical interpretations of what Sabbath observance
      required, on the grounds that the institution was intended to be a
      blessing and not a burden (Mark 2:27). The application of the same
      interpretive principles to Leviticus 18:21 and 19:4 -- the verses
      antigay Christians love to quote to clobber gay Christians -- might
      similarly lead to more compassionate conclusions regarding
      homosexuality.

      Thirdly, there are some basic principles that I believe should be
      observed by any interpreter of Scripture. The Bible is a divinely
      inspired book (2 Tim. 3:16) and therefore should be reverently
      approached. Perhaps the reader should hear what was said to Moses
      as he stood before the burning bush: "Put off your shoes from your
      feet, for the place on which you are standing is holy ground"
      (Exodus 3:5). We should be careful to reverence the divine
      character of Scripture. However, the Bible also has a genuinely
      human element since God used ordinary people to write the
      Scriptures. Recognition must be given to the human elements
      utilized by the Holy Spirit in giving us God's Word. To miss the
      human element is as much a mistake as to miss the divine element.

      In addition, since the primary aim of the interpreter is to discover
      the original meaning of the author who wrote the passage under
      consideration, careful attention must also be given to the literary
      form of a passage in determining its meaning. Careful attention
      must also be given to the historical situation of a portion of
      Scripture. In short, we should ask: (1) Who was the writer and to
      whom was he writing? (2) What was the cultural-historical setting of
      the writer? (3) What was the meaning of the words in the writer's
      day? (4) What was the intended meaning of the author and why was he
      saying it? (5) What should this mean to me in my situation today?

      I believe the Bible is far too rich to throw out the baby with the
      bath water because of what some fundamentalists have done to it.
      One can believe the Bible is inspired without checking his or her
      brain at the door.

      --- In exexgayministry@yahoogroups.com, "Brian Chase"
      <lawyerbrianc@h...> wrote:
      > Tryjesus33 sez:
      >
      > "Did I strike a nerve?"
      >
      > Well, condescending and rude messages will do that sometimes.
      Homosexuality
      > is nothing like alcoholism, and comparing those two things as if
      they were
      > both equally "problems" to be "solved" is fantastically rude.
      It's also