2707Re: www.AnythingButStraight.com

    Mar 16, 2003
      It's an interesting web site and as anyone who posts on this board
      would know I'm all for exposing the "ex-gay" myth as the dangerous
      and too often fatal fraud that it is. But I must say I'm also
      somewhat concerned about exposing the myth by throwing out the baby
      (i.e. Christian faith) with the bath water. Besen rightly
      acknowledges on his site that Jeremy Marks, for example, the founder
      of Courage, London's first "ex-gay" ministry, after nearly 15 years
      of watching people struggle in vain to "change" their orientations
      renounced Exodus' methods by saying they were failing (and had
      failed!) in their efforts to change peoples' sexual orientation.
      But unfortunately Besen says nothing about the fact that Jeremy and
      his Courage ministry are still going strong today stronger than
      ever!) now that the ministry has changed its focus and provides
      realistic support for Christian gay people. But without any
      knowledge of the other half of the story what are those who have
      been hurt and disillusioned by the "ex-gay" myth to conclude? That
      their faith was useless and a fraud as well?

      I, like others, have heard the heart cry of those who have lost
      hope. I've seen people become seriously disillusioned. Many have
      felt exceedingly depressed and hopeless, others have embraced a
      liberal "anything-goes" type of pro-gay theology, adopting dubious
      interpretations of Scripture (in my opinion), and worse still, far
      more have left the Church altogether. We know the response of
      Christian psychotherapists and pastors is often: "Get rid of this
      disgusting homosexual habit and you'll be okay." And then not able
      to "get rid" of their immutable sexual orientation no matter how
      long or hard they try, Christian gay people then turn to secular
      therapists or liberal religionists who say: "Get rid of this
      oppressive god-stuff and you'll be okay." Christian gay people must
      have a more realistic alternative than either of these two routes.

      -Alex

      --- In exexgayministry@yahoogroups.com, "Norm" <nojam75@y...> wrote:
      > There's a new website about the "ex-gay" movement.
      > www.anythingbutstraight.com is the website for the upcoming Wayne
      R.
      > Besen book. The website features a great chronology of some of
      the
      > notrious ex-gay scandals.
      >
      > - Norm! (nojam75@y...)
    • Show all 16 messages in this topic