2619Re: Reading Between the Lines...

    Jan 13, 2003
      Don, I give credit to the ever-increasing number of Christians who
      have shown the courage and have faith enough to adjust their
      thinking and doctrine when they discover what they've be taught for
      many years doesn't hold up to the correct exegesis of Scripture.

      A big turning point for me in helping others in matters pertaining
      to sexuality was in realizing that it is not realistic to expect
      people who have been taught all their lives that any and all
      expressions of homosexuality are biblically wrong to turn their
      thinking around in one of two conversations. At best, one can hope
      to re-open the argument. And then when the argument has been re-
      opened through time (and some require more time than others)
      Christians with real faith, courage and who sincerely want to know
      the truth can begin to see the futility of the doctrine they've been
      handed. I've seen it time and time again. And it continues to
      happen all around me.

      A good analogy to what I'm talking about might be with what I went
      through as a Jewish man. I was raised to believe that Jesus was not
      for the Jews. That was drummed into my head since I was born.
      Hence, when approached with the idea that Christ was the promised
      Messiah, the One prophesied about throughout the OT, the idea seemed
      absolutely preposterous to me. I certainly didn't jump on the band
      wagon very quickly. I argued and held my ground tooth and nail. It
      was quite some time before my own arguments began to crumble. And
      even then it required courage (which took more time) for me to come
      to terms with the fact that although my Jewish family, my Jewish
      friends and my Jewish community were not going to be happy campers,
      I wanted the truth and was willing to go against the grain, as it
      were, to walk in it.

      Though many do not, many other Christian people do want the truth
      too. They're not all arrogant. Try to be a little more patient
      with these people just as the people who challenged me
      with "unthinkable" doctrine were patient with me when I had to
      consider things that went against everything I had ever been
      taught. God is not done with them yet any more than he is done with
      any of us.

      --- In exexgayministry@yahoogroups.com, calldon2k <no_reply@y...>

    • Show all 16 messages in this topic