2307Re: coercion to join ex-gay ministries?

  • nojam75
    Jun 10, 2002
      --- In exexgayministry@y..., calldon2k <no_reply@y...> wrote:
      > ...How would you differenciate between
      > liberal and modernist?

      I would not try to differentiate liberal in discussing the
      fundamentalist-modernist spectrum. Maybe we are just using different
      terminology to describe similar concepts. In my (admittedly limited)
      study, 19th & 20th century, protestant Christianity developed in the
      direction of either extreme fundamentalism and extreme modernism
      theologies. Needless to say, there is a spectrum of theologies
      within these exetremes -- at least from my perspective.

      > ...Again, refined by WHAT church leaders?...

      I'm not an expert, so I can't identify specific leaders through
      history. Since many, if not most, American protestant churches are
      non-denominational, I don't think it is possible to say one person is
      _responsible_. But just within the last 25 years, it is obvious that
      the trend is for churches to become more customer-friendly through
      features such as contemporary music, pop-psychology, pseudo-
      professional counseling, demographic-specific groups (singles,
      seniors, ex-gays, etc.), social activity groups, etc. These are not
      bad features in themselves, but what concerns me is that the
      underlying fundamentalist doctrines (specifically hell) are often
      downplayed. Being raised in such churches, I was amazed, appalled,
      and angered that through all the supposed "Christian education" I
      received, I never learned the real history of the church.

      Off hand, the Rev. Billy Graham stands out as an example of a
      fundamentalist-leaning, Evangelical Christian who has been careful to
      accentuate the positive aspects of Christianity while downplaying
      damnation and fundamental doctrines.

      > ...but I am NOT a
      > legalist in any sense!

      I think you agree that you are a fundamentalist-leaning Christian in
      that you uphold certain doctrines as being essential for any and all
      Christians. I wouldn't call you a 'legalist', because I'm not sure
      what is meant by that term.

      > ...It is obviously ridiculous to you. However other believers
      would
      > disagree with you on that! I never implied that "the message of
      > life" can be boiled down to a specific set of doctrines alone.

      I know other Christians would disagree with me on my opinion. That's
      why I call them fundamentalists. :-)

      - Norm!
    • Show all 16 messages in this topic