2299Re: coercion to join ex-gay ministries?

  • nojam75
    Jun 9, 2002
      --- In exexgayministry@y..., calldon2k <no_reply@y...> wrote:
      > --- In exexgayministry@y..., "nojam75" <nojam75@y...> wrote:
      > I would not consider "modernist" the opposite of fundamentalist.

      How would you define modernist?

      > >However, Evangelism was developed as
      > > the more marketable form of fundamentalism in our consumer
      > culture.
      >
      > "Developed" by whom? That comment is based upon a lack of
      > understanding of BOTH!

      In the 20th century context, American Evangelism was refined by
      church leaders who were attempting to keep Christianity relevant to
      American society.

      > Norm, you seem to have lumped all non-"modernists" into the same
      > category. Believe me, they are not the same...

      I am well aware that there are differing variations of
      fundamentalism -- I was not trying to distinguish between the shades
      of gray. My main issue I have with fundamentalism is its attempt to
      define Christianity to a specific set of doctrines -- which no one
      in 2000 years has successfully established.

      Instead of establishing fundamentals, we should recognize that fact
      that each of us are equipped and enabled to discover our own
      relationship with God. The Bible and religion are tools to assist,
      but it's ridiculous to say the message of life can boiled down to a
      specific set of doctrines.

      - Norm!
    • Show all 16 messages in this topic