Question on CDNs

  • Ernest Mueller
    Message 1 of 2 , Sep 6, 2007
      So if you go with a CDN, how easy is it to implement the other recommended
      items in the list, especially things that need messing with the headers
      (Expires, Etags, etc.)?

      Thanks,
      Ernest
      ______________________
      UN-altered REPRODUCTION and DISSEMINATION of
      this IMPORTANT information is ENCOURAGED.
    • scottfrosty2000
      Message 2 of 2 , Sep 6, 2007
        It depends upon the CDN/ADN you choose to work with. CDN's with
        advanced functionality can make it easier for you because they can
        apply rules in their network to manage Expires, re-write ETags, etc.
        The key is to work together as partners so you get maximum benefit
        from their capabilities.

        A CDN with less functionality will ask you to modify headers on the
        origin to work within their network. In some cases you can't
        implement certain headers, etc because it busts their cache.

        The key headers CDN's have challenges with are:

        -Vary headers
        -ETags
        -Objects with query identifiers appended to their names
        -Expires/Cache Control headers
        -X-Forwarded-For/COA headers

        Other areas where CDN's differentiate themselves are:

        -Dynamic content acceleration
        -Streaming content acceleration
        -Traffic load balancing, (load distribution, active/passive, etc)
        -Route optimization
        -TCP/HTTP protocol optimization

        I'd ask each provider what capabilities they have in these areas and
        match them to your needs. Not all providers are equal although they
        claim to be :) Using a CDN won't prevent you from using headers,
        different content types, etc. It may make it more difficult to
        implement if they are light on capabilities.

        --- In exceptional-performance@yahoogroups.com, Ernest Mueller