Minify and GZip?

  • Frank A.
    Message 1 of 5 , Mar 30, 2008

      Is it really necessary to Minify your CSS and JS code if it will also be gzipped?  Doesn’t gzip get rid of wasted space?

    • Patrick Meenan
      Message 2 of 5 , Mar 30, 2008

        When we looked, we saw 2-10% additional savings on js requests by minifying in addition to gzip.  To some extent it mostly depends on how many comments there are in the code.  If it’s just stripping white space then there probably won’t be much gain but the comments are really a killer.  It’s not nearly as big of a win as gzipping but if you’re trying to squeeze every bit out it does help.

        -Pat

        Message 3 of 5 , Mar 30, 2008
          If your site may be viewed by mobile devices such as
          the iPhone, it is very important to minify your CSS
          and JS files in addition to gzip.

          iPhone decompress (unzip) CSS/JS before storing it to
          cache. There is a size limit of 25K bytes and decoded
          files over that limit are not cached.

          Regards,
          - Wayne

          --- "Frank A." <fsa3@...> wrote:

          > Is it really necessary to Minify your CSS and JS
          > code if it will also be
          > gzipped? Doesn't gzip get rid of wasted space?

        • Nick Le Mouton
          Message 4 of 5 , Mar 31, 2008

            I did a bit of a study on one of my sites:

            http://www.noodles.net.nz/2007/10/30/optimized-vbulletin-part-2/

            I’d use minify and gzip/deflate together, every little bit helps

            Is it really necessary to Minify your CSS and JS code if it will also be gzipped?  Doesn’t gzip get rid of wasted space?

          • Stoyan Stefanov
            Message 5 of 5 , Mar 31, 2008

              Hi Frank,

              I believe it’s best if you minify and then also gzip, here are some pointers:

              http://www.julienlecomte.net/blog/2007/08/13/

              http://yuiblog.com/blog/2006/03/06/minification-v-obfuscation/

              If you want less troubles, then you can go with gzip only, but do consider minification. For example, like Wayne said, iPhone won’t cache anything bigger than 25K *uncompressed* so sometimes not minifying may mean a cache miss.

              Regards,

              Stoyan