RE: [exceptional-performance] GZIP accuracy?

  • Frank A.
    Message 1 of 9 , Mar 30, 2008

      All the external tests show that the page is gzipped, just YSlow isn’t.

      Message 2 of 9 , Mar 31, 2008
        If you provided a url, other people can tell you whether they're YSlow installations say it's
        GZipped. I mean, you're saying that YUI files are not GZipped, so your system is already
        behaving differently than mine.

        (on a sidenote, if you're actually using ethereal, it is recommended you move over to
        wireshark. I just say that because many people don't seem to know that development has
        moved and that ethereal's last security advisory recommends you to upgrade to
        wireshark.)

        -David

        --- In exceptional-performance@yahoogroups.com, "Frank" <fsa3@...> wrote:

        > Hi,
        > I'm wondering if there are known issues with YSlow determining what is
        > GZipped. For my site it shows that the html content is not GZipped
        > yet when I watched the content go over the network (using ethereal) I
        > see it is GZipped.
        >
        > Also it tells me that all the YUI files that are being served up by
        > Yahoo are not GZipped (I haven't verified this with Ethereal).
        >
        > Thanks.

      • Frank A.
        Message 3 of 9 , Mar 31, 2008

          Sure thing, the URL I’ve been analyzing is:

          http://www.myfriendsuggests.com/

          Thanks.

          If you provided a url, other people can tell you whether they're YSlow installations say it's
          GZipped. I mean, you're saying that YUI files are not GZipped, so your system is already
          behaving differently than mine.

          (on a sidenote, if you're actually using ethereal, it is recommended you move over to
          wireshark. I just say that because many people don't seem to know that development has
          moved and that ethereal's last security advisory recommends you to upgrade to
          wireshark.)

          -David

          --- In exceptional- performance@ yahoogroups. com, "Frank" <fsa3@...> wrote:

          > Hi,
          > I'm wondering if there are known issues with YSlow determining what is
          > GZipped. For my site it shows that the html content is not GZipped
          > yet when I watched the content go over the network (using ethereal) I
          > see it is GZipped.
          >
          > Also it tells me that all the YUI files that are being served up by
          > Yahoo are not GZipped (I haven't verified this with Ethereal).
          >
          > Thanks.

        • Brian Williams
          Message 4 of 9 , Mar 31, 2008
            http://www.myfriendsuggests.com/ is gzipped

            Original Size: 20 KB
            Gzipped Size: 6 KB
            Data Savings: 70%

            http://www.whatsmyip.org/mod_gzip_test/?url=aHR0cDovL3d3dy5teWZyaWVuZHN1Z2dlc3RzLmNvbS8=

            On Mon, Mar 31, 2008 at 9:01 AM, Frank A. <fsa3@...> wrote:

            Sure thing, the URL I've been analyzing is:

            http://www.myfriendsuggests.com/

            Thanks.

            If you provided a url, other people can tell you whether they're YSlow installations say it's
            GZipped. I mean, you're saying that YUI files are not GZipped, so your system is already
            behaving differently than mine.

            (on a sidenote, if you're actually using ethereal, it is recommended you move over to
            wireshark. I just say that because many people don't seem to know that development has
            moved and that ethereal's last security advisory recommends you to upgrade to
            wireshark.)

            -David

            --- In exceptional-performance@yahoogroups.com, "Frank" <fsa3@...> wrote:

            > Hi,
            > I'm wondering if there are known issues with YSlow determining what is
            > GZipped. For my site it shows that the html content is not GZipped
            > yet when I watched the content go over the network (using ethereal) I
            > see it is GZipped.
            >
            > Also it tells me that all the YUI files that are being served up by
            > Yahoo are not GZipped (I haven't verified this with Ethereal).
            >
            > Thanks.

          • Stoyan Stefanov
            Message 5 of 9 , Mar 31, 2008

              Hi Frank,

              In order to determine whether a file is compressed YSlow checks the Content-Encoding HTTP header. If this header doesn’t say “gzip” or “deflate”, YSlow thinks there’s no compression.

              Best,

              Stoyan