Expires header (and Cache-Control instead)

  • Peter Bengtsson
    Message 1 of 2 , Aug 6, 2007
      First of all a great tool guys! Thanks.

      YSlow complains about objects that "do not have a far future Expires
      header". Eg. our brochure site at www.fry-it.com

      First of all, Cache-Control is a more modern way of setting
      "cache-till-future" settings since you don't have to specify a date
      format with all its risks of getting timezones, RFC formats, etc wrong.

      Secondly, I added Expires headers too now and even though they're
      several hours ahead of now YSlow still complains. I don't dare to make
      it weeks and weeks into the future since if I need to change them
      that'll cause problems for a long time till the old objects die.

      PS. I've started coding on a solution that automatically calls the JS
      and CSS by a version number in the filename so that I can set it to
      expire 2010.
    • Steve Souders
      Message 2 of 2 , Aug 20, 2007

        Hi, Peter.

        If the expires date is less than 2 days in the future, YSlow will subtract points. Given the number of misconfigured proxies out there, you really need to change the filename whenever pushing an updated resource.

        -Steve