Wish to link to Smushit with specified images for optimization

  • nebloke
    Message 1 of 8 , Sep 4, 2010
      Hi, I want to generate links to Smushit so that visitors can optimize images online. I can very much understand if you don't want allow links that trigger immediate optimization (although that also would be great), however it would be very nice if you can at least allow links that fill in the textarea with default URLs, so that the visitors can then complete the process by clicking on the "Smush" button.

      For example the URLs might look something like this: http://www.smushit.com/?url-list=http%3A%2F%2Fexample.com%2Fabc.jpg,http%3A%2F%2Fexample.com%2Fxyz.jpg

      Best Regards
      N.E.
    • Antonia Kwok

        Message 3 of 8 , Sep 5, 2010
          Thanks for your response Antonia.

          I don't use yslow. Could you kindly give me a URL for Smushit that is an example of how to achieve my goal?

          Thanks,
          N.E.

          --- In exceptional-performance@yahoogroups.com, Antonia Kwok <antoniakwok@...> wrote:

          > The second part of your request is already supported by smushit. It is how yslow passes the list of images to be optimized.
          >
          > Sent from my iPhone
          >
          > On Sep 4, 2010, at 10:40 AM, "nebloke" <nebloke@...> wrote:
          >
          > > Hi, I want to generate links to Smushit so that visitors can optimize images online. I can very much understand if you don't want allow links that trigger immediate optimization (although that also would be great), however it would be very nice if you can at least allow links that fill in the textarea with default URLs, so that the visitors can then complete the process by clicking on the "Smush" button.
          > >
          > > For example the URLs might look something like this: http://www.smushit.com/?url-list=http%3A%2F%2Fexample.com%2Fabc.jpg,http%3A%2F%2Fexample.com%2Fxyz.jpg
          > >
          > > Best Regards
          > > N.E.

        • nebloke
          Message 4 of 8 , Sep 8, 2010
            Hello? Hellooooo? Is this thing on?

            If anyone is out there... Are there any people from Yahoo or any developers for Smushit actually in this group, or do I need to go barking up some other tree?

            --- In exceptional-performance@yahoogroups.com, "nebloke" <nebloke@...> wrote:

            > Thanks for your response Antonia.
            >
            > I don't use yslow. Could you kindly give me a URL for Smushit that is an example of how to achieve my goal?
            >
            > Thanks,
            > N.E.
            >
            > --- In exceptional-performance@yahoogroups.com, Antonia Kwok <antoniakwok@> wrote:
            > >
            > > The second part of your request is already supported by smushit. It is how yslow passes the list of images to be optimized.
            > >
            > > Sent from my iPhone
            > >
            > > On Sep 4, 2010, at 10:40 AM, "nebloke" <nebloke@> wrote:
            > >
            > > > Hi, I want to generate links to Smushit so that visitors can optimize images online. I can very much understand if you don't want allow links that trigger immediate optimization (although that also would be great), however it would be very nice if you can at least allow links that fill in the textarea with default URLs, so that the visitors can then complete the process by clicking on the "Smush" button.
            > > >
            > > > For example the URLs might look something like this: http://www.smushit.com/?url-list=http%3A%2F%2Fexample.com%2Fabc.jpg,http%3A%2F%2Fexample.com%2Fxyz.jpg
            > > >
            > > > Best Regards
            > > > N.E.

          • Barry Hunter
            Message 5 of 8 , Sep 8, 2010
              Err, you could just install YSlow, and observer what it does?

              On 8 September 2010 13:58, nebloke <nebloke@...> wrote:

              Hello? Hellooooo? Is this thing on?

              If anyone is out there... Are there any people from Yahoo or any developers for Smushit actually in this group, or do I need to go barking up some other tree?

              --- In exceptional-performance@yahoogroups.com, "nebloke" <nebloke@...> wrote:

              > Thanks for your response Antonia.
              >
              > I don't use yslow. Could you kindly give me a URL for Smushit that is an example of how to achieve my goal?
              >
              > Thanks,
              > N.E.
              >
              > --- In exceptional-performance@yahoogroups.com, Antonia Kwok <antoniakwok@> wrote:
              > >
              > > The second part of your request is already supported by smushit. It is how yslow passes the list of images to be optimized.
              > >
              > > Sent from my iPhone
              > >
              > > On Sep 4, 2010, at 10:40 AM, "nebloke" <nebloke@> wrote:
              > >
              > > > Hi, I want to generate links to Smushit so that visitors can optimize images online. I can very much understand if you don't want allow links that trigger immediate optimization (although that also would be great), however it would be very nice if you can at least allow links that fill in the textarea with default URLs, so that the visitors can then complete the process by clicking on the "Smush" button.
              > > >
              > > > For example the URLs might look something like this: http://www.smushit.com/?url-list=http%3A%2F%2Fexample.com%2Fabc.jpg,http%3A%2F%2Fexample.com%2Fxyz.jpg
              > > >
              > > > Best Regards
              > > > N.E.

            • Antonia Kwok
              Message 6 of 8 , Sep 8, 2010
                I replied to you directly on Tuesday without posting to the group.  You may have overlooked this in your mailbox.  Anyway, the URL and parameters are below.
                BTW, I am from Yahoo.

                In the post body, parameter name is "img", the value is the list of image url delimited by "\n".

                I don't use yslow. Could you kindly give me a URL for Smushit that is an example of how to achieve my goal?

                Thanks,
                N.E.

                --- In exceptional-performance@yahoogroups.com, Antonia Kwok <antoniakwok@...> wrote:

                > The second part of your request is already supported by smushit. It is how yslow passes the list of images to be optimized.
                >
                > Sent from my iPhone
                >
                > On Sep 4, 2010, at 10:40 AM, "nebloke" <nebloke@...> wrote:
                >
                > > Hi, I want to generate links to Smushit so that visitors can optimize images online. I can very much understand if you don't want allow links that trigger immediate optimization (although that also would be great), however it would be very nice if you can at least allow links that fill in the textarea with default URLs, so that the visitors can then complete the process by clicking on the "Smush" button.
                > >
                > > For example the URLs might look something like this: http://www.smushit.com/?url-list=http%3A%2F%2Fexample.com%2Fabc.jpg,http%3A%2F%2Fexample.com%2Fxyz.jpg
                > >
                > > Best Regards
                > > N.E.

              • stephen_thair
                Message 7 of 8 , Sep 12, 2010
                  In the spirit of "teaching a man to fish"...

                  (1) install the free version of HTTPWatch (http://www.httpwatch.com/download/)

                  (2) Install ySlow

                  (3) Analyze a page with ySlow

                  (4) Start HTTPWatch recording

                  (5) Click on the SmushIt link next to an image

                  (6) Stop HTTPWatch recording and find the request to SmushIt.

                  What you find is something like this -

                  http://www.smushit.com/ysmush.it//ws.php?img=http://www.siteconfidence.com/images/videoTitleStatic.jpg

                  And you get an application/json response

                  {"src":"http:\/\/img-cdn.mediaplex.com\/0\/7778\/42351\/AGv3-banner-prospect.jpg","src_size":69968,"dest":"http:\/\/smushit.zenfs.com\/results\/b552f8a5\/smush\/%2F0%2F7778%2F42351%2FAGv3-banner-prospect.jpg","dest_size":68277,"percent":"2.42","id":""}

                  Src = the source image URL

                  Src_size = original image byres

                  Dest = link to optimised image

                  Dest_size = site of optimised image

                  Percent = percentage saving

                  Id= some sort of tag, dunno what.

                  But since Antonia kindly replied you can use the POST method in her reply as opposed to the GET via the URL above if you want. The POST method sounds like it can accept a list of images which is good.

                  cheers,
                  Steve

                  --- In exceptional-performance@yahoogroups.com, Barry Hunter <barry@...> wrote:

                  > Err, you could just install YSlow, and observer what it does?
                  >
                  > On 8 September 2010 13:58, nebloke <nebloke@...> wrote:
                  >

                  > > Hello? Hellooooo? Is this thing on?
                  > >
                  > > If anyone is out there... Are there any people from Yahoo or any developers
                  > > for Smushit actually in this group, or do I need to go barking up some other
                  > > tree?
                  > >

                  > > --- In exceptional-performance@yahoogroups.com<exceptional-performance%40yahoogroups.com>,
                  > > "nebloke" <nebloke@> wrote:
                  > > >

                  > > > Thanks for your response Antonia.
                  > > >
                  > > > I don't use yslow. Could you kindly give me a URL for Smushit that is an
                  > > example of how to achieve my goal?
                  > > >
                  > > > Thanks,
                  > > > N.E.
                  > > >
                  > > > --- In exceptional-performance@yahoogroups.com<exceptional-performance%40yahoogroups.com>,

                  > > how yslow passes the list of images to be optimized.

                  > > images online. I can very much understand if you don't want allow links that
                  > > trigger immediate optimization (although that also would be great), however
                  > > it would be very nice if you can at least allow links that fill in the
                  > > textarea with default URLs, so that the visitors can then complete the
                  > > process by clicking on the "Smush" button.

                  > > http://www.smushit.com/?url-list=http%3A%2F%2Fexample.com%2Fabc.jpg,http%3A%2F%2Fexample.com%2Fxyz.jpg

                • nebloke
                  Message 8 of 8 , Sep 16, 2010
                    Hi Antonia,

                    I did indeed miss that message. Your help is much appreciated!

                    You can see the links that I am able to now automatically generate, thanks to your help, over at http://ImgOps.com/

                    ( Although it doesn't work until you use the site together with an image URL. Here is an example: http://imgops.com/www.angrybearblog.com/cat.jpg )

                    Hopefully it will eventually lead a good deal more new website developers over to Smushit and in turn to YSlow, and speed up more websites, and make the world a better place, and solve global warming, and lead to world peace.