Timings in Firebug/Firefox - limited to 15ms precision?

  • smto_dtk
    Message 1 of 4 , Aug 11, 2010
      Has anyone else noticed that looking over element timings in the Net panel of Firebug, nothing seems to be less than 15ms? Seems as if there is something limiting the precision of timings we can glean here. Anybody know what's going on or discovered a way around that?

      Call me paranoid, but a large number of little numbers being off by a little bit can add up to bigger mischief, no?

      /dtk
    • Rob Larsen
      Message 2 of 4 , Aug 11, 2010

        You may want to check this article, which gives insight on why the bottom limit is 15ms:

        http://ejohn.org/blog/accuracy-of-javascript-time/

        (basically anything lower gets rounded down)

        Rob Larsen

        DrunkenFist.com

        HTML + CSS + JavaScript

        --- In exceptional-performance@yahoogroups.com, "smto_dtk" <dave@...> wrote:

        > Has anyone else noticed that looking over element

        timings in the Net panel of Firebug, nothing seems to be less than 15ms?  Seems as if there is something limiting the precision of timings we can glean here. Anybody know what's going on or discovered a way around that?

        > Call me paranoid, but a large number of little numbers

        being off by a little bit can add up to bigger mischief, no?

        > /dtk

      • smto_dtk
        Message 3 of 4 , Aug 13, 2010
          Thanks Rob, but it's not JavaScript time I'm worried about.

          My focus is on network time to download page elements. Wondering if anyone has gotten deep into the weeds of the net timings coming back from Firefox (displayed in Firebug or elsewhere)?

          /dtk

          --- In exceptional-performance@yahoogroups.com, "Rob Larsen" <Rob@...> wrote:

          > You may want to check this article, which gives insight on why the bottom
          > limit is 15ms:
          >

          > http://ejohn.org/blog/accuracy-of-javascript-time/
          >

          > (basically anything lower gets rounded down)
          >

          > Rob Larsen
          >
          > <http://www.drunkenfist.com/> DrunkenFist.com
          >
          > <http://htmlcssjavascript.com/> HTML + CSS + JavaScript
          >

          > --- In exceptional-performance@yahoogroups.com, "smto_dtk" <dave@> wrote:
          >

          > > Has anyone else noticed that looking over element timings in the Net panel
          > of Firebug, nothing seems to be less than 15ms? Seems as if there is
          > something limiting the precision of timings we can glean here. Anybody know
          > what's going on or discovered a way around that?
          >

          > > Call me paranoid, but a large number of little numbers being off by a
          > little bit can add up to bigger mischief, no?
          >

          > > /dtk

        • Rob Larsen
          Message 4 of 4 , Aug 13, 2010
            The point is that firebug/yslow/etc is a javascript tool, so it lives on javascript time.

            Rob Larsen