Want to be a BAP officer next year?

  • ewu_bap
    Message 1 of 1 , Jan 11, 2010
      Members of Beta Alpha Psi,

      The current officers of BAP are looking to find BAP members that are interested in becoming officers for next year. We are making an effort to do something a little different this year--we want to have the new officers elected and put in place by the end of winter quarter or the beginning of spring quarter at the very latest. This means we need to know who is interested in becoming an officer as soon as possible.

      Only members of BAP can be officers, so if you are not a member yet, you need to get your requirements fulfilled and dues paid as soon as possible. We are looking for people who are involved in BAP, meaning you attend most of the events and we know who you are. This year is a little different in that we are even considering having interviews to make sure that we get officers that are truly serious about BAP and are hard-workers, as well as make sure that the officers all work well together. We need people who are serious about BAP because our chapter will not survive without people who are willing to put in the effort.

      The rewards of becoming an officer are endless. The leadership and organizational skills you acquire are priceless. Also, accounting firms are VERY interested in students who were/are officers of BAP. It is an experience that gives you something to talk about during interviews and many of the people you will interview with will either have been a member of BAP or know someone who was. If you want a job, I suggest you strongly consider this opportunity. As an officer you have so many more connections with accounting firms and professionals than any of your other classmates. For example, I knew most of the people I interviewed with during fall recruiting BEFORE I interviewed with them. This is a huge leg up in a very competitive industry.

      This is not to say that there isn't a lot of work that goes into becoming an officer. This is why we are looking for serious students who are willing to work hard in order to obtain great results.

      This quarter we are hoping to have an event where interested students can come ask current officers questions about what they really do and how much work actually goes into being an officer. Also, you can hear the experiences of how BAP has been rewarding for those officers. As I stated before, we are also planning on having somewhat casual interviews for each officer position towards the end of the quarter. During spring quarter, the new officers will then be able to shadow the current officers in order to be better prepared to take on the next year.

      Please let me know if you are at all interested in becoming an officer by emailing me at ewu_bap@... and let me know if there is a certain officer position that you are most interested in. At the end of this email I will put the officer descriptions that I got from the BAP website so you can see a general description of the duties. Remember, we know who attends each event and a student who is involved and attends the events is more likely to become an officer than one who is not.

      Thank you,

      Jenni Winter
      BAP President

      ARTICLE V
      DUTIES OF OFFICERS

      Section 1. PRESIDENT: The Chapter President shall perform the following duties:
      (a) Preside at all meetings of the Chapter;
      (b) Appoint such committees as may be deemed necessary by the active membership, or as may be required by the National Constitution or these By-Laws, and to serve as an ex-officio member of such committees;
      (c) Call special meetings of the Chapter as may be required
      (d) Be responsible for all Chapter reports required by the National Council of Beta Alpha Psi;
      (e) Be responsible for planning and coordinating half of the professional activities.
      (f) Initiate and supervise the Chapter Activity Program as prepared by the National Council of Beta Alpha Psi;
      (g) Supervise the preparation and submission to the National Council of the Year End Report;
      (h) Promote generally the welfare of Beta Alpha Psi Fraternity and the Delta Sigma Chapter by maintaining the Chapter objectives.

      Section 2. VICE-PRESIDENT: The Chapter Vice-President shall:
      (a) Assume the Chapter President's duties in his/her absence;
      (b) Be responsible for planning and coordinating half of the professional activities.
      (c) Reconcile the Chapter bank balance monthly and at the close of the Chapter year;
      (d) Assist the Chapter President in carrying out all other executive function;
      (e) Assist the Chapter President in providing programs for meeting;
      (f) Create and advise Committees;
      (g) Recruitment of new members;

      Section 3. REPORTING SECRETARY: The Chapter Reporting Secretary shall:
      (a) Forward to the National Council of Beta Alpha Psi the following:
      i. Required reports of all Chapter activities as specified in the Program for Chapter Activities;
      (b) Maintain the plan of activities to coincide with the reporting requirements.
      (c) Keep correct minutes of each Chapter meeting;
      (d) Maintain an attendance record of all Chapter meetings;
      (e) Notify the membership as to the time and place of Chapter meetings and
      of other activities;
      (f) The Reporting Secretary shall be responsible to the President and shall control outgoing reports to the National Counsel, through the Faculty Advisor.

      Section 4. TREASURER: The Chapter Treasurer shall:
      (a) Draw the checks, with the co-signature of either the Chapter President, Vice-President, or Faculty Advisor, for expenditures authorized by the active membership;
      (b) Collect and deposit all initiation fees, dues and other incoming funds of the Chapter;
      (c) Report the collection of pledge/member dues to the Membership Coordinator(s);
      (d) Maintain the Uniform System of Accounting as designated and prescribed by the National Council of Beta Alpha Psi;
      (e) Make an oral report at each business meeting and a written report each quarter to the President and Faculty Advisor, upon the financial position of the Chapter; and
      (f) Forward to the National Council of Beta Alpha Psi the Following:
      i. The national initiation fee for each quarter for each active, honorary, and faculty initiate within 14 days after initiation.
      ii. An audit report covering the tax year, June 1 through May 31, not later than June 15, the report is to include certified financial statements and other statements as called for in the Program for Chapter Activities.

      Section 5. MEMBERSHIP COORDINATOR(S): The Membership Coordinator(s) shall:
      (a) Forward to the National Council of Beta Alpha Psi the following:
      i. A complete report on the initiation of all new members as specified in the Program for Chapter Activates;
      ii. A list of chapter members and pledges and their contact information;
      (b) Maintain member/pledge points and status;
      (c) Maintain member information.

      Section 6. NRA COORDINATOR(S): The NRA Coordinator(s) shall:
      (a) Be responsible for planning the NRA activities required for the desired achievement level of the chapter.
      (b) Report the list and details of the planned activities to the Chapter President and Chapter Reporting Secretary for review and reporting purposes.

      Section 7. WSCPA LIAISON: The WSCPA Liaison shall:
      (a) Attend monthly WSCPA meetings and report back to the chapter;
      (b) Coordinate student attendance at WSCPA meetings;
      (c) Be responsible for planning and coordinating the Chapter Service Activity.

      Section 8. VICE-PRESIDENT: The role of Vice-President, with the approval of the membership, can be divided into two offices consisting of a Vice-President of Finance and a Vice-President of Activities. The former will assume the Financial role while the latter will assume the Activities role. The remaining duties may be divided as seen fit by the membership.

      Section 9. ADDITIONAL DUTIES OF OFFICERS: In addition to the duties expressly set forth in Article 5, each officer shall perform, generally, such duties as may be required of him/her by the National Council of Beta Alpha Psi and by other Articles of these By-Laws. Officers shall promote generally the welfare of Beta Alpha Psi Fraternity and of the Delta Sigma Chapter by maintaining the Chapter objectives.