Conference plans - the Nordic Voice November 7-12

  • susannenyrop
    Message 1 of 1 , Jul 3, 2005
      hello dear webheads,

      I would like to be part of the coming WIA conference somehow, however
      my reason for not just jumping up and joining the steering group is
      that togehter with Anne Fox, I'm already deeply immersed in preparing
      another online conference for Nordic language teachers - the Nordic
      Voice - (November 7-12)- and our focus is on how to use voice tools
      to help mutual understanding and comprehension of our neighbor
      languages that have so many similarities that we do not always have to
      use English as our common language, with a little training and some
      effort. You see, our target group is perhaps a little different from
      the majority of Webheads teachers but of course with many
      similarities, and with WIA as our "role model". So far, webheads
      Michael Coghlan and Chrissan - and Etienne Wenger - has accepted to
      help with forming an online Community of Nordic language teachers,
      with this conference as our starting point, and one part of this
      effort will be English language, while we also encourage (of course)
      the usage of the Nordic languages for community building. Perhaps a
      little messy; but even though all of the Nordic language teachers will
      probably know enough English to participate, the whole idea of
      inter-nordic exchange should also encourage the teachers themselves to
      communicate with each other in their neighbor languages :-)

      Our planning process has been more internal, starting with a small
      group with representatives from different organizations, and our
      invitations for presenters were sent directly, and we have decided to
      postpone our deadline for proposals until after the holidays - so this
      initiative from respected and experienced WIA leaders is also show
      casing how this could be done in a more open and direct manner.

      Perhaps we could exchange experiences later on when we see how things
      work out. And when we start the WIA conference days, I will be
      someone who will participate actively and help with emergent needs, as
      a somewhat experienced synchronous session facilitator and chaos
      navigator.

      The online proposal form looks very helpful, in both formats, Dennis.
      I don't know which one I prefer. Only I'm wondering perhaps, speaking
      for those who may never have presented online before, it could be a
      little overwhealming to have to decide already three months before the
      very presentation which tools they'll feel most comfortable with using
      - now that they have such a broad choice of varieties?

      Sus

      PS I'll post a link to our homepage for the Nordic Voice conference as
      soon as it is ready. We're using Moodle and that is at the moment,
      "Still under construction".