Re: [evonline2002_webheads] WiaOC 2005 report

  • Dafne
    Message 1 of 7 , Jul 2 5:26 PM
      Sorry, I thought I had saved this message as a draft to send later but it seems my finger went to the wrong place and I sent it without having finished.

      Well, I just wanted to say that if Vance is going on a well deserved vacation, and we know when the CfP needs to be sent, provided we agree on the form, we can make it public while Vance is on vacation (btw, I think we should have the first version available so others can compare and give their opinion, the link that Tere gave for the first version is not active).

      I think we should also show the cover page for the CfP that Dennis was preparing. I think it was almost ready and the comments posted to Dennis' blog indicated that people liked it. Dennis, can you send those links to this list, pls ;-). I wonder why the links to the earlier CfP and the annnouncement page have vanished. Or am I missing something?

      back to projects correction,

      Daf

      Dafne <dygonza@...> wrote:
      My comments inside:******

      Vance Stevens <vstevens@...> wrote:

      The first priority for us now is to get a call for papers out. I am
      going on vacation with my family on July 6 for two weeks and for
      that period I will not be able to engage as I am now, and so I would
      like to issue this CfP by then. In order to issue a call we have to
      define our event and have a mechanism by which those responding to
      the call can submit proposals. Dennis Oliver has been working on a
      submissions form. Fernanda has graciously offered to make it
      dynamic and link it to a database. We aren't sure we'll have time to
      do this for this year (but Fernanda is going to try!), and this is
      an example of the expertise we have in Webheads that we can call
      into play once we've matched it to our needs.

      ***Vance, you can go on vacation, We have a team for the CfP and a team to vet prop. You can rely on the teams to do the job, that's their responsibility, and I am sure each team will be doing their best to carry our their assignments. This is a team conference, y

      You can see the current version of the submissions form here:
      http://www.d-oliver.net/WiA/callform.htm

      We'd like your feedback on it. Go ahead and try it out. Submit a
      proposal if you like. Let us know if you have any suggestions for
      improvement.

      The next step is to word a CfP. The team for that is Dennis Oliver
      and Eric Baber. I have a tentative wording up at
      http://www.vancestevens.com/papers/evonline2002/convergence2005.htm#c
      fp

      I would very much like to have a CfP in shape with a link to a
      submissions form that you can start disseminating on July 5 (the day
      before I disappear on holiday).

      We also have a Referee team waiting to receive the proposals at the
      end of August. The referee team needs to give me enough of an idea
      right away! of the rubric they will use to evaluate proposals by
      July 4 so that I can put this in the CfP so that people submitting
      proposals will know what we are looking for in accepting or (in
      extreme cases) rejecting a proposal.

      Between us Webheads, we are looking for proposals that will
      illustrate ways of using the media with which we experiment in our
      community of practice. It's hard to imagine a proposal that a
      Webhead would submit that might be rejected. As we do in EVO, the
      referee team would likely get back to you and try to help you with
      your proposal if they had some suggestion for improvement that might
      ensure its acceptance. It's an online conference and we don't have
      limitations of space and time that prevail at brick and mortar
      conferences. The idea of this conference is to encourage innovation
      and grant you exposure to what you do.

      There is a referee process in order to provide legitimacy for those
      who wish it. The referee process requires that a panel of peers vet
      your proposal and agree that it is one worthy of attention of
      peers. Since a panel of referees has to be convened there is a
      timeline for that process. At the moment we envisage a submissions
      deadline of August 31 for proposals whose authors wish to undergo
      that process. But after that date, we intend to accept proposals
      and schedule them as long as there are spaces available, so
      presentation at the conference is not limited to refereed
      presentations. I intend to note on the program however which
      presentations have been refereed.

      It is intended also to conduct team business and other conference
      business at our Moodle http://www.opensource.idv.tw/moodle/ . The
      Moodle space has been graciously provided by Venny, and Karen is
      working on setting up forums and other interactive spaces for our
      conference. If you have any ideas on what functions for our
      conference can be handled by the Moodle, please let us know either
      on this list, or at the moodle itself.

      Enough for now, and please let us know your reactions

      Message 2 of 7 , Jul 2 5:36 PM
        Dennis will be doing what you suggest shortly, and it's a good idea.

        I appreciate that others can work on the consensus CfP while I'm
        away. Who can accept this responsibility?

        I'm absorbing feedback on this one. There is one small thing though.
        I had not meant to put the rubric for referees in the CfP (nor for
        that team to come up with it in a matter of days) but to ensure that
        there was some indication of what we would be looking for in that
        rubric in the CfP.

        Thanks for your input, please continue,

        From: Dafne <dygonza@...>
        Date: Saturday, July 2, 2005 5:26 pm
        Subject: Re: [evonline2002_webheads] WiaOC 2005 report

        Message 3 of 7 , Jul 5 12:11 AM
          Hi all,

          This is just to let you know of the latest update.

          I have updated the portal and its mirror:
          Conference Portal:
          http://www.vancestevens.com/papers/evonline2002/convergence2005.htm
          Portal Mirror:
          http://69.93.138.106/~wia/vstevens/papers/evonline2002/convergence200
          5.htm

          The really good news is that the people who wrote recently with
          ideas on the conference all got together last Sunday after the noon
          GMT chat and hammered out a Call for Papers form that all are happy
          with. You can see it here:

          http://www.d-oliver.net/WiA/callform-final.htm

          It's still being tweaked. Meanwhile Fernanda is busy converting it
          into dynamic ASP and soon it will be ready for you to submit your
          proposals.

          At that point the CfP team takes over. They have assured me that I
          can go on holiday and a call will materialize.

          I will be away in Guatemala and Honduras from the day after tomorrow
          until July 22, but I will try to keep in touch while traveling.

          Best to all,

          Vance
        • Barbara Dieu
          Message 4 of 7 , Jul 5 3:01 AM
            Vance,
            Have a great time and enjoy the holidays with the family !
            I am going away for two weeks as well, but will definitely help when I am
            back.
            Warm regards from Brazil,
            Bee

            Barbara Dieu
            http://dekita.org
          • Chrissan
            Message 5 of 7 , Jul 5 3:04 AM
              Hi Vance, enjoy your well earned vacation away from us ...... even
              if keeping in touch;-)
              Summer hugs,
              /Chrissan

              --- In evonline2002_webheads@yahoogroups.com, "Vance Stevens"