Re: [evonline2002_webheads] Re: Webquest for Academic Writing Skills

  • Candace Pauchnick
    Message 1 of 18 , Jul 1, 2005
      Dear Elizabeth,
      What a thoughtful thing to do!!! I was keeping my own list and I'm so impressed you did this for everyone!!!! You're always thinking of others!!!
      You're certainly a gift to us all!!!
      Candy

      Dr Elizabeth Hanson-Smith <ehansonsmi@...> wrote:
      Hi all--
      since I've been following the WebQuest discussion, I
      made a Webpage with the resources we have noted so
      far:
      <http://webpages.csus.edu/~hansonsm/WebQuest_info.html>

      If there are further notes and comments, I can easily
      add them.

      Cheers--
      --Elizabeth

      Message 2 of 18 , Jul 2, 2005
        Thank you Elizabeth, I put a link to your page in the links section of
        http://
        msg.uc.iupui.edu/TMC/html/index.php

        My hope is that one, or more, tutor/mentor programs around the country will
        adopt this
        concept as a learning strategy for training volunteers. In the 30 years
        that I have lead
        a volunteer-based tutor/mentor program I've found that it's almost
        impossible to write
        one manual, or provide one set of workshops, that would provide everything
        volunteer who did not grow up in a poverty neighborhood, with what he/she
        needs to
        know to be an effective tutor/mentor to a youth who lives in a poverty
        neighborhood.

        The entire strategy of the T/MC web sites is to collect and organize
        information that
        any volunteer or leader could find and use when he/she was looking for
        information.
        The WebQuest seems to be a way to provide some structure to this process.
        If we can
        motivate some programs to begin to build tutor/mentor WebQuests, and put
        them on
        line, then hundreds of other tutor/mentor programs will be able to
        duplicate that,
        without going through the process it takes to create a WebQuest.

        Dan Bassill
        Tutor/Mentor Connection

        What a thoughtful thing to do!!! I was keeping my own list and I'm so
        impressed you
        did this for everyone!!!! You're always thinking of others!!!
        You're certainly a gift to us all!!!
        Candy

        Dr Elizabeth Hanson-Smith <ehansonsmi@...> wrote:
        Hi all--
        since I've been following the WebQuest discussion, I
        made a Webpage with the resources we have noted so
        far:
        <http://webpages.csus.edu/~hansonsm/WebQuest_info.html>

        If there are further notes and comments, I can easily
        add them.

        Cheers--
        --Elizabeth

        extraneous text
        from the reply - Thanks!!plying to postings, please delete this footer and
        any other
        extraneous text from the reply - Thanks!!

        extraneous text
        from the reply - Thanks!!plying to postings, please delete this footer and
        any other
        extraneous text from the reply - Thanks!!
        Yahoo! Groups Links

        http://mail2web.com/ .
      • Dr Elizabeth Hanson-Smith
        Message 3 of 18 , Jul 2, 2005
          Hello Dan--
          I've been meaning to write to the list about the
          Tutor/Mentor conference issues. And I'm happy you feel
          others might be able to use the resources I have put
          up on the Web.

          I was peripherally aware of your earlier problem--the
          Webheads are eager to participate in the T/M
          conference, but the presentations were not necessarily
          "directed at" the themes and issues represented by
          your conference and your audience. (I tried to do that
          with our Real English Online presentation, but don't
          know if it was perceived that way.) I welcome you to
          our WiA group, and think your direct participation
          here will greatly improve the way Webheads target the
          T/M conference in their presentations.

          Even though WiA is a very international group and
          probably weighted toward university teaching, many of
          us are involved in tutoring/mentoring situations. We
          also have numerous contacts and resources throughout
          the world, and these may be helpful in finding the
          right kind of presentations for the T/M conference.
          For instance, in the Electronic Village Online--free
          sessions on issues in TESOL--last year, we had a
          discussion group on how to get senior volunteers
          involved in language tutoring. I think that person
          might have organized a very appropriate session for
          the T/M conference.

          The other target for WiA, perhaps, would be the
          creation of reusable resources on the Web. One example
          would be T/M-oriented WebQuests, as you suggest in
          your last message (below). I hope someone picks up the
          ball on that.

          I hope these ideas are in line with what you have in
          mind? Anyway, I am sure WiA wants to continue this
          discussion. Perhaps T/M would do a presentation at our
          WiA-OC conference coming up in November? That would be
          a nice cross-over, and could generate interest in the
          kinds of projects T/M does.

          Welcome to the Webheads, Dan--
          --Elizabeth

          Message 4 of 18 , Jul 2, 2005
            Hi, Dan!

            I don't how I came across this site a couple of days ago, but here's an
            audio presentation and a workbook on "Virtual Learning Community: Training
            Staff & Volunteers". I know it's not a webquest, but I hope it may be
            helpful.
            http://present.replayhq.com/icohere2/wired6/replay.htm

            Best,

            Teresa
            Message 5 of 18 , Jul 2, 2005
              Hi, Elizabeth!

              Great idea! Is it all right if I make a link to it?

              Hugs,

              Teresa

            • tutormentor2@earthlink.net
              Message 6 of 18 , Jul 3, 2005
                Thanks Elizabeth and Theresa.

                I hope that my participation adds to the discussion. I know I have been
                learning a lot from all of your experiences.

                I've added the suggested links to
                http://msg.uc.iupui.edu/TMC/html/index.php. This site enables others to
                add suggested links, so if you or other Webheads have links that you feel
                related to tutoring/mentoring and education-to-careers, please feel free to
                add them.

                Elizabeth, your suggestion that WiA could be creating reusable resources on
                the Web is a concept that I fully embrace in the T/MC strategy. I feel that
                there are many smart and dedicated people all over the world who are in
                sophisticated stages of thinking, planning and acting to help youth born in
                poverty grow up safely, health, and with opportunities to lead lives free
                of poverty.

                Some are probably further along in sharing their ideas on the Internet, or
                in hosting forums like Webheads.

                At this time, I don't know most of them and I don't know if many of these
                other groups are aware of each other. When I visit college web sites, for
                instance, I don’t see many efforts to link to web sites at other colleges
                that are researching the same work. Thus, just by creating a library of
                links and inviting people to come together via eConferences or email
                discussions like this, we help people connect with each other and create a
                larger resource of knowledge for any group to draw from in their own
                deliberations.

                Since many groups are hosted from universities, Think Tanks, or governments
                or businesses, most (almost all!!) are better resourced than the T/MC.
                Thus, I'm not trying to duplicate the production ability to organize and
                host eConferences. Instead, I'm trying to find people who are already
                hosting eConferences on subjects related to the T/MC goals, or who have the
                capacity to do this, and link their events via a calendar, or via an event
                theme, such as Tutor/Mentor eConference.

                For example, IUPUI is IndianaUniversity and PurdueUniversity combined. They
                held their first tutor/mentor econference in May and plan to do another in
                November. If we can help them re-purpose existing resources to focus on
                T/MC goals, we unleash a tremendous resource. If we have the same impact on
                other universities around the country, or world, that resource multiplies
                and each university learns from each other.

                The T/MC conference timing is strategic. The conference in May is intended
                to stimulate idea sharing and resources for summer planning that leads to
                more and better tutor/mentor programs as school starts in September. The
                conference in November is intended to help programs get volunteers, get
                ideas for volunteers who are just beginning to get to know kids, and,
                possibly most important of all, it is intended to increase public awareness
                of the costs of tutoring/mentoring as people move into the year-end
                charitable gift giving season. If universities become hosts of T/MC
                e-conferences, we hope this encourages their alumni to participate, then
                become leaders, volunteers, donors, business partners, etc. of tutor/mentor
                programs in cities where they live.

                Thus, while we want to share information, we also want to increase the
                resources each program has to put the information to work in their own
                organizations. The growing visibility of the eConference can draw resource
                providers to the organizations participating in the eConference, and to
                others who are listed in on-line directories hosted on T/MC web sites. If
                we can add survey tools, such as shown at http://jordan-webb.net/tmc, we
                can begin to learn what works, what does not work, and start workshops
                intended to fill the voids.

                While I focus on just one topic area, Webheads focuses on a broader
                education area, and some people focus on multiple social service areas. I
                feel that it is possible to create navigation graphics that could help
                visitors to web sites find what service category they want to support, then
                find what country, city, charity they want to support. Here's an example
                of a graphic that I feel does this very effectively:
                http://www.tbf.org/indicatorsproject/hubofinnovation/innovation.asp

                I think that Webheads has the opportunity to do much of what I do, and even
                better. I've visited the web pages of many who do workshops at the
                tutor/mentor eConferences and see that you do a great job of sharing
                information. I’ve placed links to some of these pages on my own web sites.
                However, I'm not sure there is a central Webheads page that I could go to,
                which is trying to aggregate and organize the information from each of your
                web sites. Is there?

                Such a page could have a calendar that would list any e-conference that is
                related to the Web heads mission and is being offered between mid October
                and December. The Calendar itself becomes an eConference, just by
                connecting the various events hosted by others!!

                With such a calendar, people will be able to find the events hosted by
                Webheads or others, and will be able to choose whether or not they want to
                be a presenter or a participant in any of these, or all of them. As
                conference organizers learn to link to each other, the public awareness
                each generates to promote his own conference, builds greater awareness of
                every conference that is connected via the calendar.

                I'm sure I'll be submitting a proposal to deliver a workshop in the
                November Webheads event. I hope some will present in an eConference hosted
                by IUPUI. Some people who look at the calendar in the future may see an
                opportunity to create a new event in a time frame when nothing is
                happening, or around topics that are not yet being covered.

                I'm afraid I've rambled on a bit, but this is the strategy that I've been
                following for the past 10 years and will continue to expand as we harness
                more and more of the new elearning and collaboration technologies that are
                being developed every day. It’s probably what I’ll talk about in any
                eConference workshops that I do in November.

                There's a great urgency to mobilize more people/ideas/and resources to help
                kids born in poverty. However, we can do much more with existing resources
                if we can just go from random acts of kindness, to working from a blueprint
                that shows what kids need at different age levels, and how important it is
                to continue support for some kids from year to year until they are adults.

                I think that through our on-line networking the blueprint will evolve, as
                sort of an open-source effort to create a better operating system for
                raising kids.

                Dan Bassill
                http://tutormentor.blogspot.com

                http://mail2web.com/ .
                Message 7 of 18 , Jul 6, 2005
                  Hi, Dan!

                  You ask the following (3 Jul): "I'm not sure there is a central Webheads
                  page that I could go to, which is trying to aggregate and organize the
                  information from each of your web sites. Is there?"

                  I've been keeping such a page, though not always as updated as I'd like it,
                  at
                  http://wwwin.malhatlantica.pt/teresadeca/webheads/wia-index.htm

                  Though it's fairly updated, it'll be as complete as possible in a few weeks.
                  It's one of my summer tasks. :-)

                  Hope this helps.

                  Teresa