Re: Webquest for Academic Writing Skills

  • Dr Elizabeth Hanson-Smith
    Message 1 of 18 , Jul 1, 2005
      Hi all--
      since I've been following the WebQuest discussion, I
      made a Webpage with the resources we have noted so
      far:
      <http://webpages.csus.edu/~hansonsm/WebQuest_info.html>

      If there are further notes and comments, I can easily
      add them.

      Cheers--
      --Elizabeth
    • Candace Pauchnick
      Message 2 of 18 , Jul 1, 2005
        Dear Elizabeth,
        What a thoughtful thing to do!!! I was keeping my own list and I'm so impressed you did this for everyone!!!! You're always thinking of others!!!
        You're certainly a gift to us all!!!
        Candy

        Message 3 of 18 , Jul 2, 2005
          Thank you Elizabeth, I put a link to your page in the links section of
          http://
          msg.uc.iupui.edu/TMC/html/index.php

          My hope is that one, or more, tutor/mentor programs around the country will
          adopt this
          concept as a learning strategy for training volunteers. In the 30 years
          that I have lead
          a volunteer-based tutor/mentor program I've found that it's almost
          impossible to write
          one manual, or provide one set of workshops, that would provide everything
          volunteer who did not grow up in a poverty neighborhood, with what he/she
          needs to
          know to be an effective tutor/mentor to a youth who lives in a poverty
          neighborhood.

          The entire strategy of the T/MC web sites is to collect and organize
          information that
          any volunteer or leader could find and use when he/she was looking for
          information.
          The WebQuest seems to be a way to provide some structure to this process.
          If we can
          motivate some programs to begin to build tutor/mentor WebQuests, and put
          them on
          line, then hundreds of other tutor/mentor programs will be able to
          duplicate that,
          without going through the process it takes to create a WebQuest.

          Dan Bassill
          Tutor/Mentor Connection

          What a thoughtful thing to do!!! I was keeping my own list and I'm so
          impressed you
          did this for everyone!!!! You're always thinking of others!!!
          You're certainly a gift to us all!!!
          Candy

          Dr Elizabeth Hanson-Smith <ehansonsmi@...> wrote:
          Hi all--
          since I've been following the WebQuest discussion, I
          made a Webpage with the resources we have noted so
          far:
          <http://webpages.csus.edu/~hansonsm/WebQuest_info.html>

          If there are further notes and comments, I can easily
          add them.

          Cheers--
          --Elizabeth

          extraneous text
          from the reply - Thanks!!plying to postings, please delete this footer and
          any other
          extraneous text from the reply - Thanks!!

          extraneous text
          from the reply - Thanks!!plying to postings, please delete this footer and
          any other
          extraneous text from the reply - Thanks!!
          Yahoo! Groups Links

          http://mail2web.com/ .
        • Dr Elizabeth Hanson-Smith
          Message 4 of 18 , Jul 2, 2005
            Hello Dan--
            I've been meaning to write to the list about the
            Tutor/Mentor conference issues. And I'm happy you feel
            others might be able to use the resources I have put
            up on the Web.

            I was peripherally aware of your earlier problem--the
            Webheads are eager to participate in the T/M
            conference, but the presentations were not necessarily
            "directed at" the themes and issues represented by
            your conference and your audience. (I tried to do that
            with our Real English Online presentation, but don't
            know if it was perceived that way.) I welcome you to
            our WiA group, and think your direct participation
            here will greatly improve the way Webheads target the
            T/M conference in their presentations.

            Even though WiA is a very international group and
            probably weighted toward university teaching, many of
            us are involved in tutoring/mentoring situations. We
            also have numerous contacts and resources throughout
            the world, and these may be helpful in finding the
            right kind of presentations for the T/M conference.
            For instance, in the Electronic Village Online--free
            sessions on issues in TESOL--last year, we had a
            discussion group on how to get senior volunteers
            involved in language tutoring. I think that person
            might have organized a very appropriate session for
            the T/M conference.

            The other target for WiA, perhaps, would be the
            creation of reusable resources on the Web. One example
            would be T/M-oriented WebQuests, as you suggest in
            your last message (below). I hope someone picks up the
            ball on that.

            I hope these ideas are in line with what you have in
            mind? Anyway, I am sure WiA wants to continue this
            discussion. Perhaps T/M would do a presentation at our
            WiA-OC conference coming up in November? That would be
            a nice cross-over, and could generate interest in the
            kinds of projects T/M does.

            Welcome to the Webheads, Dan--
            --Elizabeth

            Message 5 of 18 , Jul 2, 2005
              Hi, Dan!

              I don't how I came across this site a couple of days ago, but here's an
              audio presentation and a workbook on "Virtual Learning Community: Training
              Staff & Volunteers". I know it's not a webquest, but I hope it may be
              helpful.
              http://present.replayhq.com/icohere2/wired6/replay.htm

              Best,

              Teresa
              Message 6 of 18 , Jul 2, 2005
                Hi, Elizabeth!

                Great idea! Is it all right if I make a link to it?

                Hugs,

                Teresa

              • tutormentor2@earthlink.net
                Message 7 of 18 , Jul 3, 2005
                  Thanks Elizabeth and Theresa.

                  I hope that my participation adds to the discussion. I know I have been
                  learning a lot from all of your experiences.

                  I've added the suggested links to
                  http://msg.uc.iupui.edu/TMC/html/index.php. This site enables others to
                  add suggested links, so if you or other Webheads have links that you feel
                  related to tutoring/mentoring and education-to-careers, please feel free to
                  add them.

                  Elizabeth, your suggestion that WiA could be creating reusable resources on
                  the Web is a concept that I fully embrace in the T/MC strategy. I feel that
                  there are many smart and dedicated people all over the world who are in
                  sophisticated stages of thinking, planning and acting to help youth born in
                  poverty grow up safely, health, and with opportunities to lead lives free
                  of poverty.

                  Some are probably further along in sharing their ideas on the Internet, or
                  in hosting forums like Webheads.

                  At this time, I don't know most of them and I don't know if many of these
                  other groups are aware of each other. When I visit college web sites, for
                  instance, I don’t see many efforts to link to web sites at other colleges
                  that are researching the same work. Thus, just by creating a library of
                  links and inviting people to come together via eConferences or email
                  discussions like this, we help people connect with each other and create a
                  larger resource of knowledge for any group to draw from in their own
                  deliberations.

                  Since many groups are hosted from universities, Think Tanks, or governments
                  or businesses, most (almost all!!) are better resourced than the T/MC.
                  Thus, I'm not trying to duplicate the production ability to organize and
                  host eConferences. Instead, I'm trying to find people who are already
                  hosting eConferences on subjects related to the T/MC goals, or who have the
                  capacity to do this, and link their events via a calendar, or via an event
                  theme, such as Tutor/Mentor eConference.

                  For example, IUPUI is IndianaUniversity and PurdueUniversity combined. They
                  held their first tutor/mentor econference in May and plan to do another in
                  November. If we can help them re-purpose existing resources to focus on
                  T/MC goals, we unleash a tremendous resource. If we have the same impact on
                  other universities around the country, or world, that resource multiplies
                  and each university learns from each other.

                  The T/MC conference timing is strategic. The conference in May is intended
                  to stimulate idea sharing and resources for summer planning that leads to
                  more and better tutor/mentor programs as school starts in September. The
                  conference in November is intended to help programs get volunteers, get
                  ideas for volunteers who are just beginning to get to know kids, and,
                  possibly most important of all, it is intended to increase public awareness
                  of the costs of tutoring/mentoring as people move into the year-end
                  charitable gift giving season. If universities become hosts of T/MC
                  e-conferences, we hope this encourages their alumni to participate, then
                  become leaders, volunteers, donors, business partners, etc. of tutor/mentor
                  programs in cities where they live.

                  Thus, while we want to share information, we also want to increase the
                  resources each program has to put the information to work in their own
                  organizations. The growing visibility of the eConference can draw resource
                  providers to the organizations participating in the eConference, and to
                  others who are listed in on-line directories hosted on T/MC web sites. If
                  we can add survey tools, such as shown at http://jordan-webb.net/tmc, we
                  can begin to learn what works, what does not work, and start workshops
                  intended to fill the voids.

                  While I focus on just one topic area, Webheads focuses on a broader
                  education area, and some people focus on multiple social service areas. I
                  feel that it is possible to create navigation graphics that could help
                  visitors to web sites find what service category they want to support, then
                  find what country, city, charity they want to support. Here's an example
                  of a graphic that I feel does this very effectively:
                  http://www.tbf.org/indicatorsproject/hubofinnovation/innovation.asp

                  I think that Webheads has the opportunity to do much of what I do, and even
                  better. I've visited the web pages of many who do workshops at the
                  tutor/mentor eConferences and see that you do a great job of sharing
                  information. I’ve placed links to some of these pages on my own web sites.
                  However, I'm not sure there is a central Webheads page that I could go to,
                  which is trying to aggregate and organize the information from each of your
                  web sites. Is there?

                  Such a page could have a calendar that would list any e-conference that is
                  related to the Web heads mission and is being offered between mid October
                  and December. The Calendar itself becomes an eConference, just by
                  connecting the various events hosted by others!!

                  With such a calendar, people will be able to find the events hosted by
                  Webheads or others, and will be able to choose whether or not they want to
                  be a presenter or a participant in any of these, or all of them. As
                  conference organizers learn to link to each other, the public awareness
                  each generates to promote his own conference, builds greater awareness of
                  every conference that is connected via the calendar.

                  I'm sure I'll be submitting a proposal to deliver a workshop in the
                  November Webheads event. I hope some will present in an eConference hosted
                  by IUPUI. Some people who look at the calendar in the future may see an
                  opportunity to create a new event in a time frame when nothing is
                  happening, or around topics that are not yet being covered.

                  I'm afraid I've rambled on a bit, but this is the strategy that I've been
                  following for the past 10 years and will continue to expand as we harness
                  more and more of the new elearning and collaboration technologies that are
                  being developed every day. It’s probably what I’ll talk about in any
                  eConference workshops that I do in November.

                  There's a great urgency to mobilize more people/ideas/and resources to help
                  kids born in poverty. However, we can do much more with existing resources
                  if we can just go from random acts of kindness, to working from a blueprint
                  that shows what kids need at different age levels, and how important it is
                  to continue support for some kids from year to year until they are adults.

                  I think that through our on-line networking the blueprint will evolve, as
                  sort of an open-source effort to create a better operating system for
                  raising kids.

                  Dan Bassill
                  http://tutormentor.blogspot.com

                  http://mail2web.com/ .
                  Message 8 of 18 , Jul 6, 2005
                    Hi, Dan!

                    You ask the following (3 Jul): "I'm not sure there is a central Webheads
                    page that I could go to, which is trying to aggregate and organize the
                    information from each of your web sites. Is there?"

                    I've been keeping such a page, though not always as updated as I'd like it,
                    at
                    http://wwwin.malhatlantica.pt/teresadeca/webheads/wia-index.htm

                    Though it's fairly updated, it'll be as complete as possible in a few weeks.
                    It's one of my summer tasks. :-)

                    Hope this helps.

                    Teresa