Re: [evonline2002_webheads] antivirus, etc.

  • raedithr@aol.com
    Message 1 of 5 , Jul 1, 2005
      Thank you Vance.
      Rae

      -----Original Message-----
      From: vstevens@...
      To: evonline2002_webheads@yahoogroups.com
      Sent: Fri, 01 Jul 2005 07:46:24 -0700
      Subject: Re: [evonline2002_webheads] antivirus, etc.

      If you've got the name of the virus then key that into Google and your
      best bet is probably Symantic's detailed instructions on how to remove
      them. The process, which is explained in exact detail with screen
      shots, is something like:

      1, disable system restore (otherwise you risk restoring your sys with
      virus)
      2. update your virus signatures
      3. enter safe mode
      4. run virus scan to locate where the critter is
      5. delete the critter AND
      6. Symantic tells you how to get into the registry and for any
      particular virus which keys to look for and delete

      If you can't do 1 to 4 because you're not running a/v software you can
      at least do 5 and 6. If you don't do 6 then you'll likely be
      revisited.

      Good luck,

      From: raedithr@...
      Date: Friday, July 1, 2005 5:18 am

      > I have just ran my AVG antivirus software and it says that it has
      > detected a
      > virus. I clicked on several of the areas hoping to be able to
      > clean the file.
      > Can someone who uses this software tell me what step I need to
      > take next to
      > ride my computer of it?
      > Rae

      > For more information:

      > extraneous text from the reply - Thanks!!plying to postings,
      > please delete this footer and any other extraneous text from the
      > reply - Thanks!!
      > Yahoo! Groups Links

      When replying to postings, please delete this footer and any other extraneous
      text from the reply - Thanks!!plying to postings, please delete this footer and
      any other extraneous text from the reply - Thanks!!
      Yahoo! Groups Links

    • pgreenleaf
      Message 2 of 5 , Jul 4, 2005
        Just adding my thanks to the very useful replies I had about antivirus programmes - am currently experimenting with Avast software which is free for home users http://www.avast.com/ after registering.
        Yes Teresa, I've got ad-aware anti-spyware!
        Thank you all.
        Paddy
        in Portugal