vlogs

  • Arlyn Freed
    Message 1 of 2 , May 31, 2005
      Hi everyone,

      I know that Christine wrote about vlogs (video
      blogs/journals) in April but it seems like this new
      blogging technique is really taking with the Gen W
      crowd (which means students will like it).

      I've been slogging through a bunch of vlogs, searching
      for material that might be useful in teaching. I've
      yet to find much as the postings are either too long,
      too chaotic or just boring (or are peppered with
      profanity -- not great for the classroom). Still, the
      potential is there for a really intimate view of the
      way people live around the world. This also seems
      full of potential for students who want to reach out
      to the world in a second language.

      Many use Quicktime

      I've just scratched the iceberg but here are some vlog
      sites:
      This site offers tutorials for setting up a Blogger
      vlog
      http://www.freevlog.org/
      They also have a yahoo group at:

      Also:
      http://www.videoblogging.info/ and visit the map at:
      http://www.videoblogging.info/map/ where you can click
      on a bunch of blogs for a quick taste of the postings
      out there.

      Also check out this academic site of Aussies and
      scroll down the right side for a list of resources
      (here they refer to vlogs as "vogs").

      And http://www.vlogdir.com/ offers somewhat of a
      directory to vlogs including quite a few listed as
      educational.

      What's great (sort of) is that all of these vloggers
      list links to other vlogs. What I've found is that
      the quality varies depending on who is linking to who
      -- some vlogs are really artistic and well produced,
      while others are simply a hand-held camera spinning
      around a room. Finding good vlogs requires patience
      (and a high-speed internet connection). One of the
      more frightening vlogs I viewed was by a young father
      who had been called at work to rush home because his 4
      year old daughter was missing. He recorded his
      anguish in the car while speeding home (the closing
      titles added that the little girl had been found safe
      by the police). I do wonder about people who record
      that kind of fear, rather than focusing on the
      trauma...

      Here are just a few that caught my eye but I'm sure
      there's much, much more out there.
      From http://annieee.blogspot.com/:
      http://ia108009.us.archive.org/0/items/pizza_1/050427pizza.mov

      From
      http://www.zipworld.com.au/~kashum/blog/1115120719
      vlog anarchy!

      From rocketboom.com
      http://www.rocketboom.com/vlog/archives/2004/12/rb_04_dec_15.html

      Greengreenwater.com (educational)
      http://www.greengreenwater.com/vlog/videos/042005.php

      All the best,
      Arlyn

      http://www.eslhome.com

      "What's past is prologue."
      -- W. Shakespeare, The Tempest

      __________________________________
      Yahoo! Mail Mobile
      http://mobile.yahoo.com/learn/mail
    • Graham Stanley
      Message 2 of 2 , Jun 1, 2005
        Hi Arlyn

        I was very interested in your post about vlogs - I'm a member of the
        video blogging Yahoo group too, but haven't really had time recently
        to investigate them as a resource, so your research was very useful.

        I'd like to draw your attention to another source of regular video of
        a similar type, the video podcast:

        At Podcast Alley...

        http://podcastalley.com/podcast_genres.php?pod_genre_id=12

        ...there are 25 video podcasts currently listed. I'm sure there'll be
        something here to interest you and anyone else interested in this type
        of video content

        Regards

        Graham Stanley
        http://blog-efl.blogspot.com

        PS: How long will it be before a Webhead starts a Webhead podcast to
        add another string to the powerful bow of this fabulous group?