Re: [evonline2002_webheads] an update - Rita

    Message 1 of 1 , May 30, 2005
      Dear Rita,

      There comes a time when those who devote more time than others need to
      retreat and take some time out. I did that over Easter and will do so again
      sometime over the summer. The problem, Rita, is that everything always
      sounds exciting and it's very difficult to say 'no'. I always learn the hard
      way! Only when I'm dead tired, as is the case at the moment.

      Anyway, regarding your message, all I can say, to start with, is that I wish
      all our online and offline efforts paid all the time. Just think about
      students: we do everything possible and impossible to motivate them, help
      them learn, etc, etc, and what do we get in return, often with more students
      than we'd like? Total frustration! But does that make us stop, do less, feel
      down? It doesn't to me! It makes me want to do better and try to motivate
      them in different ways.

      As you said, there are compensations in the midst of all the negativeness
      and resistance that you encounter among close colleagues, namely, all those
      invitations that you should be proud of. They mean that you're work and
      message are getting across, though not at the rhythm you'd like, nor within
      your closest collaborators. I've felt the same in my school for years, and
      even within APPI, but I haven't given up. At school, my students are
      experiencing something that may never experience again, and they feel
      excited with every CALL lesson. At APPI, there are always the regular
      participants - my fans, as I call them -, but there's always a group of new
      faces every year. And I'm sure that there are always those that I'm getting
      across to.

      I second your words
      "Definitely, were it not for this fabulous Community, my existence would
      have missed all this joy ;-)))"
      and everything that Michael said in his reply, especially
      "It has made my life infinitely
      more interesting, enjoyable, and stimulating."
      How true!

      Wny similarity between WiA and the offline world at my school is pure
      coincidence!!!

      Keep up that Webhead spirit, Rita! When you need a pat on the shoulder and a
      caring word, come to this fabulous community where you will always find
      warmth, sympathy and... a loving word!

      Warm hugs,

      Teresa