Re: Report on Today's Session

  • aleweser
    Message 1 of 12 , May 3, 2005
      Hi Michael,
      I have had the same problem as Yaodong. The link leads to a
      "Preferences" page in Learning Times.

      Alejandra

      --- In evonline2002_webheads@yahoogroups.com, Michael Coghlan
      <michaelc@c...> wrote:
      > At 12:16 AM 5/4/2005, you wrote:
      > >Hi,Michael,
      > >Vance and I tried in vain to access to the recording of today's
      > >session.THe link you gave led us to a page without the green ENTER.:-)
      >
      > Yaodong - this may be a temporary problem. The link to the session at
      > http://home.learningtimes.net/learningtimes?go=807538 is working
      fine for me.

      > - Michael
    • Chrissan
      Message 2 of 12 , May 3, 2005
        Hi Michael, Yao is right, I can't reach the link either. No enter!
        Hugs,
        /Chrissan

      • raedithr@aol.com
        Message 3 of 12 , May 3, 2005
          I would love to listen to the session. I reached learning times though the
          link and then looked under archives, but didn't find it. Any suggestions?
          Rae

          Message 4 of 12 , May 4, 2005
            I've tried it on two computers and it works on both. I tried to help
            Yaodong troubleshoot his last night and he goes to a difference screen after
            logon (I go to the session entry with the green bar, he goes elsewhere). We
            tried searching the archives. I thought I had found it (sustaining online
            community) but when I went back to what I thought was the same place I could
            not replicate my find. We searched everywhere. It is odd that some are
            directed differently after logon.

            Incidentally I have been asked twice as a result of this session what I
            thought would happen if I were no longer involved with Webheads, would the
            community then sustain itself? Consenus is that it would. I have been
            involved in many labors in many attempts to jump-start communities in my
            career. One for example was the MS-DOS Newsletter which, when I stopped
            doing it, died a peaceful rest. Another was the CALL-IS Interest section
            which I was involved with forming but was an idea whose time had come and is
            now a venerable institution in TESOL.

            I have often repeated that the ONLY things worth doing are those that will
            carry on when you're gone. I think Webheads reached that point a year or
            two ago. One test of the value of an effort is to withdraw from it and see
            what happens. Worthwhile undertakings SHOULD be carried forward when its
            founding members go on to more ambitious projects.

            I have no intention of doing that though. I am happy to let others take
            initiative and I think we all appreciate the dynamic eclecticism and absence
            of personal agenda that characterizes Webheads.

            Thanks Michael for bringing it all together (once again ;-) in a sterling
            presentation (and thanks Buth for cueing me for my grand exit right at the
            end :-))

            > Hi Michael, Yao is right, I can't reach the link either. No enter!
            > Hugs,
            > /Chrissan
            >>
            >> Yaodong - this may be a temporary problem. The link to the session at
            >> http://home.learningtimes.net/learningtimes?go=807538 is working
            > fine for me.
            >>
            >> - Michael

          • John Hibbs
            Message 5 of 12 , May 4, 2005
              At 6:58 AM -0700 5/4/05, Vance Stevens wrote:
              >One test of the value of an effort is to withdraw from it and see
              >what happens.
              >(snip snip)
              >I have no intention of doing that though.

              Phew!

              For a moment I thought Vance would say he was going to go into the
              lurking business. Webheads might well survive without him. But it
              would not prosper in the accelerated fashion that will happen if he
              stays, not just steering the wagon, or even riding the horses that
              pull it. Vance is one of those guys who also puts his own shoulder to
              the wheel....and about all of this, there is not one single Webhead
              who will disagree!

              Thanks, Vance, for alleviating my worry that you might choose to ride
              off into the sunset. In my not humble opinion, you should have a gig
              in front of very big audiences several times a month...like in front
              of MTV, C-SPAN, BBC, Canadian, Australian and Dutch radio -- as well
              as in front of every single notable ESL event (... where their
              leaders are wise enough to pay you to do your virtual dance!!!!)

              Note this, also in my not humble opinion:
              Even if you fell the biggest tree in the forest, it does little good
              if there are not many around to see how brilliant was the cutting.

              What can WE do to get bigger audiences for Webheads? For Vance Stevens?

              Nobody, nobody, nobody leads their parade as well as does Vance
              Stevens. Of course he is also supported by a brilliant, brilliant
              cast. Go ahead - Webheads - pat yourself on the back. Your
              performances are exceptional and a harbinger of better things to come.

              Signed,
              Your biggest fan,
              John Hibbs
            • Chrissan
              Message 6 of 12 , May 4, 2005
                Thank god John, at least you didn't call Vance the horse himself!
                Grateful for small mercies;-)
                Hugs,
                /Chrissan

                --- In evonline2002_webheads@yahoogroups.com, John Hibbs <hibbs@b...>