Re: [evonline2002_webheads] Report on Today's Session

  • YD Chen
    Message 1 of 12 , May 3, 2005
      Hi,Michael,
      Vance and I tried in vain to access to the recording of today's session.THe link you gave led us to a page without the green ENTER.:-)
      Gnite,
      yaodong

      Michael Coghlan <michaelc@...> wrote:
      At 11:03 PM 5/3/2005, you wrote:
      >Hello Michael, and Georgina!
      >
      > It was interesting to read about Georgina being in the local audience;
      >was that a surprise to you Michael?

      I actually met Georgina the day before my session - that was a complete and
      very pleasant surprise - but I knew she would be in my session. I'll post a
      pic or two of our meeting sometime in the coming days.

      - Michael.

    • Michael Coghlan
      Message 2 of 12 , May 3, 2005
        At 12:16 AM 5/4/2005, you wrote:
        >Hi,Michael,
        >Vance and I tried in vain to access to the recording of today's
        >session.THe link you gave led us to a page without the green ENTER.:-)

        Yaodong - this may be a temporary problem. The link to the session at
        http://home.learningtimes.net/learningtimes?go=807538 is working fine for me.

        - Michael
      • aleweser
        Message 3 of 12 , May 3, 2005
          Hi Michael,
          I have had the same problem as Yaodong. The link leads to a
          "Preferences" page in Learning Times.

          Alejandra

          --- In evonline2002_webheads@yahoogroups.com, Michael Coghlan
          <michaelc@c...> wrote:
          > At 12:16 AM 5/4/2005, you wrote:
          > >Hi,Michael,
          > >Vance and I tried in vain to access to the recording of today's
          > >session.THe link you gave led us to a page without the green ENTER.:-)
          >
          > Yaodong - this may be a temporary problem. The link to the session at
          > http://home.learningtimes.net/learningtimes?go=807538 is working
          fine for me.

          > - Michael
        • Chrissan
          Message 4 of 12 , May 3, 2005
            Hi Michael, Yao is right, I can't reach the link either. No enter!
            Hugs,
            /Chrissan

          • raedithr@aol.com
            Message 5 of 12 , May 3, 2005
              I would love to listen to the session. I reached learning times though the
              link and then looked under archives, but didn't find it. Any suggestions?
              Rae

              Message 6 of 12 , May 4, 2005
                I've tried it on two computers and it works on both. I tried to help
                Yaodong troubleshoot his last night and he goes to a difference screen after
                logon (I go to the session entry with the green bar, he goes elsewhere). We
                tried searching the archives. I thought I had found it (sustaining online
                community) but when I went back to what I thought was the same place I could
                not replicate my find. We searched everywhere. It is odd that some are
                directed differently after logon.

                Incidentally I have been asked twice as a result of this session what I
                thought would happen if I were no longer involved with Webheads, would the
                community then sustain itself? Consenus is that it would. I have been
                involved in many labors in many attempts to jump-start communities in my
                career. One for example was the MS-DOS Newsletter which, when I stopped
                doing it, died a peaceful rest. Another was the CALL-IS Interest section
                which I was involved with forming but was an idea whose time had come and is
                now a venerable institution in TESOL.

                I have often repeated that the ONLY things worth doing are those that will
                carry on when you're gone. I think Webheads reached that point a year or
                two ago. One test of the value of an effort is to withdraw from it and see
                what happens. Worthwhile undertakings SHOULD be carried forward when its
                founding members go on to more ambitious projects.

                I have no intention of doing that though. I am happy to let others take
                initiative and I think we all appreciate the dynamic eclecticism and absence
                of personal agenda that characterizes Webheads.

                Thanks Michael for bringing it all together (once again ;-) in a sterling
                presentation (and thanks Buth for cueing me for my grand exit right at the
                end :-))

                > Hi Michael, Yao is right, I can't reach the link either. No enter!
                > Hugs,
                > /Chrissan
                >>
                >> Yaodong - this may be a temporary problem. The link to the session at
                >> http://home.learningtimes.net/learningtimes?go=807538 is working
                > fine for me.
                >>
                >> - Michael

              • John Hibbs
                Message 7 of 12 , May 4, 2005
                  At 6:58 AM -0700 5/4/05, Vance Stevens wrote:
                  >One test of the value of an effort is to withdraw from it and see
                  >what happens.
                  >(snip snip)
                  >I have no intention of doing that though.

                  Phew!

                  For a moment I thought Vance would say he was going to go into the
                  lurking business. Webheads might well survive without him. But it
                  would not prosper in the accelerated fashion that will happen if he
                  stays, not just steering the wagon, or even riding the horses that
                  pull it. Vance is one of those guys who also puts his own shoulder to
                  the wheel....and about all of this, there is not one single Webhead
                  who will disagree!

                  Thanks, Vance, for alleviating my worry that you might choose to ride
                  off into the sunset. In my not humble opinion, you should have a gig
                  in front of very big audiences several times a month...like in front
                  of MTV, C-SPAN, BBC, Canadian, Australian and Dutch radio -- as well
                  as in front of every single notable ESL event (... where their
                  leaders are wise enough to pay you to do your virtual dance!!!!)

                  Note this, also in my not humble opinion:
                  Even if you fell the biggest tree in the forest, it does little good
                  if there are not many around to see how brilliant was the cutting.

                  What can WE do to get bigger audiences for Webheads? For Vance Stevens?

                  Nobody, nobody, nobody leads their parade as well as does Vance
                  Stevens. Of course he is also supported by a brilliant, brilliant
                  cast. Go ahead - Webheads - pat yourself on the back. Your
                  performances are exceptional and a harbinger of better things to come.

                  Signed,
                  Your biggest fan,
                  John Hibbs
                • Chrissan
                  Message 8 of 12 , May 4, 2005
                    Thank god John, at least you didn't call Vance the horse himself!
                    Grateful for small mercies;-)
                    Hugs,
                    /Chrissan

                    --- In evonline2002_webheads@yahoogroups.com, John Hibbs <hibbs@b...>