Loading ...
Sorry, an error occurred while loading the content.

Report on Today's Session

Expand Messages
  • Michael Coghlan
    Hi everyone. I was really happy with today s conference session on Sustaining Online Communities. Except for the fact that Vance wasn t able to participate
    Message 1 of 12 , May 3, 2005
    • 0 Attachment
      Hi everyone.

      I was really happy with today's conference session on Sustaining Online
      Communities. Except for the fact that Vance wasn't able to participate
      because his connection kept dropping out again. :-( But at least he was
      able to say a few words right at the end. The f2f audience really
      appreciated your persistence Vance.

      Buth, Chris, Teresa each talked to the audience for a few minutes, while
      Venny and Yaodong contributed in the text chat. Georgina Nou, an Australian
      webhead, was present in the f2f audience and stepped forward to the mic and
      said a few generous words about Webheads. It was great to meet her. She is
      a very lively person and a great impromptu speaker.

      I took a few tangents during the session and asked a few rhetorical
      questions like 'are we just an elitist well educated group' with not much
      relevance for the disenfranchised? :) (This was kind of in line with a
      recurring conference question of exactly WHO is using the Internet. Now if
      Andy P had been online with us...) And someone asked what would happen if
      Vance quit and I said it would all collapse. =-O

      Just kidding. I said I thought Webheads now had enough momentum to continue
      even if Vance decided to retire! Tempted Vance?

      Thanks Tere, Buth, Chris, Vance, Venny, and Yaodong for your support. I'd
      be interested to hear what it was like from the online perspective if you
      have a few moments.

      I'll post the URL of the recording when I get it from LT.

      - Michael.
    • Susanne Nyrop
      Hello Michael, and Georgina! It was interesting to read about Georgina being in the local audience; was that a surprise to you Michael? I had planned to get
      Message 2 of 12 , May 3, 2005
      • 0 Attachment
        Hello Michael, and Georgina!

        It was interesting to read about Georgina being in the local audience;
        was that a surprise to you Michael?

        I had planned to get ready to join you this early morning, but things
        turned out differently from here as we had an urgent problem where my
        attention was needed.

        Don't you tempt Vance to retire; we do need all hands on the deck!

        Sus


        On May 3, 2005, at 1:40 PM, Michael Coghlan wrote:

        > Hi everyone.
        >
        > I was really happy with today's conference session on Sustaining Online
        > Communities. Except for the fact that Vance wasn't able to participate
        > because his connection kept dropping out again. :-( But at least he was
        > able to say a few words right at the end. The f2f audience really
        > appreciated your persistence Vance.
        >
        > Buth, Chris, Teresa each talked to the audience for a few minutes,
        > while
        > Venny and Yaodong contributed in the text chat. Georgina Nou, an
        > Australian
        > webhead, was present in the f2f audience and stepped forward to the
        > mic and
        > said a few generous words about Webheads. It was great to meet her.
        > She is
        > a very lively person and a great impromptu speaker.
        >
        > I took a few tangents during the session and asked a few rhetorical
        > questions like 'are we just an elitist well educated group' with not
        > much
        > relevance for the disenfranchised? :) (This was kind of in line with a
        > recurring conference question of exactly WHO is using the Internet.
        > Now if
        > Andy P had been online with us...) And someone asked what would happen
        > if
        > Vance quit and I said it would all collapse. =-O
        >
        > Just kidding. I said I thought Webheads now had enough momentum to
        > continue
        > even if Vance decided to retire! Tempted Vance?
        >
        > Thanks Tere, Buth, Chris, Vance, Venny, and Yaodong for your support.
        > I'd
        > be interested to hear what it was like from the online perspective if
        > you
        > have a few moments.
        >
        > I'll post the URL of the recording when I get it from LT.
        >
        > - Michael.
        >
        >
        >
        >
        >
        > For more information:
        > http://www.geocities.com/vance_stevens/papers/evonline2002/webheads.htm
        >
        > When replying to postings, please delete this footer and any other
        > extraneous text from the reply - Thanks!!plying to postings, please
        > delete this footer and any other extraneous text from the reply -
        > Thanks!!
        > Yahoo! Groups Links
        >
        >
        >
        >
        >
        >
        >
      • Michael Coghlan
        ... I actually met Georgina the day before my session - that was a complete and very pleasant surprise - but I knew she would be in my session. I ll post a pic
        Message 3 of 12 , May 3, 2005
        • 0 Attachment
          At 11:03 PM 5/3/2005, you wrote:
          >Hello Michael, and Georgina!
          >
          > It was interesting to read about Georgina being in the local audience;
          >was that a surprise to you Michael?

          I actually met Georgina the day before my session - that was a complete and
          very pleasant surprise - but I knew she would be in my session. I'll post a
          pic or two of our meeting sometime in the coming days.

          - Michael.
        • Aiden Yeh
          We ll be counting on it! Aiden Michael Coghlan wrote: I ll post a pic or two of our meeting sometime in the coming days.
          Message 4 of 12 , May 3, 2005
          • 0 Attachment
            We'll be counting on it!

            Aiden

            Michael Coghlan <michaelc@...> wrote:
            I'll post a
            pic or two of our meeting sometime in the coming days.

            __________________________________________________
            Do You Yahoo!?
            Tired of spam? Yahoo! Mail has the best spam protection around
            http://mail.yahoo.com

            [Non-text portions of this message have been removed]
          • YD Chen
            Hi,Michael, Vance and I tried in vain to access to the recording of today s session.THe link you gave led us to a page without the green ENTER.:-) Gnite,
            Message 5 of 12 , May 3, 2005
            • 0 Attachment
              Hi,Michael,
              Vance and I tried in vain to access to the recording of today's session.THe link you gave led us to a page without the green ENTER.:-)
              Gnite,
              yaodong

              Michael Coghlan <michaelc@...> wrote:
              At 11:03 PM 5/3/2005, you wrote:
              >Hello Michael, and Georgina!
              >
              > It was interesting to read about Georgina being in the local audience;
              >was that a surprise to you Michael?

              I actually met Georgina the day before my session - that was a complete and
              very pleasant surprise - but I knew she would be in my session. I'll post a
              pic or two of our meeting sometime in the coming days.

              - Michael.




              For more information:
              http://www.geocities.com/vance_stevens/papers/evonline2002/webheads.htm

              When replying to postings, please delete this footer and any other extraneous text from the reply - Thanks!!plying to postings, please delete this footer and any other extraneous text from the reply - Thanks!!



              ---------------------------------
              Yahoo! Groups Links

              To visit your group on the web, go to:
              http://groups.yahoo.com/group/evonline2002_webheads/

              To unsubscribe from this group, send an email to:
              evonline2002_webheads-unsubscribe@yahoogroups.com

              Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to the Yahoo! Terms of Service.


              __________________________________________________
              Do You Yahoo!?
              Tired of spam? Yahoo! Mail has the best spam protection around
              http://mail.yahoo.com

              [Non-text portions of this message have been removed]
            • Michael Coghlan
              ... Yaodong - this may be a temporary problem. The link to the session at http://home.learningtimes.net/learningtimes?go=807538 is working fine for me. -
              Message 6 of 12 , May 3, 2005
              • 0 Attachment
                At 12:16 AM 5/4/2005, you wrote:
                >Hi,Michael,
                >Vance and I tried in vain to access to the recording of today's
                >session.THe link you gave led us to a page without the green ENTER.:-)

                Yaodong - this may be a temporary problem. The link to the session at
                http://home.learningtimes.net/learningtimes?go=807538 is working fine for me.

                - Michael
              • aleweser
                Hi Michael, I have had the same problem as Yaodong. The link leads to a Preferences page in Learning Times. Alejandra ... fine for me.
                Message 7 of 12 , May 3, 2005
                • 0 Attachment
                  Hi Michael,
                  I have had the same problem as Yaodong. The link leads to a
                  "Preferences" page in Learning Times.

                  Alejandra

                  --- In evonline2002_webheads@yahoogroups.com, Michael Coghlan
                  <michaelc@c...> wrote:
                  > At 12:16 AM 5/4/2005, you wrote:
                  > >Hi,Michael,
                  > >Vance and I tried in vain to access to the recording of today's
                  > >session.THe link you gave led us to a page without the green ENTER.:-)
                  >
                  > Yaodong - this may be a temporary problem. The link to the session at
                  > http://home.learningtimes.net/learningtimes?go=807538 is working
                  fine for me.
                  >
                  > - Michael
                • Chrissan
                  Hi Michael, Yao is right, I can t reach the link either. No enter! Hugs, /Chrissan ... fine for me.
                  Message 8 of 12 , May 3, 2005
                  • 0 Attachment
                    Hi Michael, Yao is right, I can't reach the link either. No enter!
                    Hugs,
                    /Chrissan




                    --- In evonline2002_webheads@yahoogroups.com, Michael Coghlan
                    <michaelc@c...> wrote:
                    > At 12:16 AM 5/4/2005, you wrote:
                    > >Hi,Michael,
                    > >Vance and I tried in vain to access to the recording of today's
                    > >session.THe link you gave led us to a page without the green ENTER.:-)
                    >
                    > Yaodong - this may be a temporary problem. The link to the session at
                    > http://home.learningtimes.net/learningtimes?go=807538 is working
                    fine for me.
                    >
                    > - Michael
                  • raedithr@aol.com
                    I would love to listen to the session. I reached learning times though the link and then looked under archives, but didn t find it. Any suggestions? Rae In a
                    Message 9 of 12 , May 3, 2005
                    • 0 Attachment
                      I would love to listen to the session. I reached learning times though the
                      link and then looked under archives, but didn't find it. Any suggestions?
                      Rae

                      In a message dated 5/3/05 5:57:43 PM Eastern Daylight Time,
                      christina_ljunggren@... writes:

                      http://home.learningtimes.net/learningtimes?go=807538





                      [Non-text portions of this message have been removed]
                    • Vance Stevens
                      I ve tried it on two computers and it works on both. I tried to help Yaodong troubleshoot his last night and he goes to a difference screen after logon (I go
                      Message 10 of 12 , May 4, 2005
                      • 0 Attachment
                        I've tried it on two computers and it works on both. I tried to help
                        Yaodong troubleshoot his last night and he goes to a difference screen after
                        logon (I go to the session entry with the green bar, he goes elsewhere). We
                        tried searching the archives. I thought I had found it (sustaining online
                        community) but when I went back to what I thought was the same place I could
                        not replicate my find. We searched everywhere. It is odd that some are
                        directed differently after logon.

                        Incidentally I have been asked twice as a result of this session what I
                        thought would happen if I were no longer involved with Webheads, would the
                        community then sustain itself? Consenus is that it would. I have been
                        involved in many labors in many attempts to jump-start communities in my
                        career. One for example was the MS-DOS Newsletter which, when I stopped
                        doing it, died a peaceful rest. Another was the CALL-IS Interest section
                        which I was involved with forming but was an idea whose time had come and is
                        now a venerable institution in TESOL.

                        I have often repeated that the ONLY things worth doing are those that will
                        carry on when you're gone. I think Webheads reached that point a year or
                        two ago. One test of the value of an effort is to withdraw from it and see
                        what happens. Worthwhile undertakings SHOULD be carried forward when its
                        founding members go on to more ambitious projects.

                        I have no intention of doing that though. I am happy to let others take
                        initiative and I think we all appreciate the dynamic eclecticism and absence
                        of personal agenda that characterizes Webheads.

                        Thanks Michael for bringing it all together (once again ;-) in a sterling
                        presentation (and thanks Buth for cueing me for my grand exit right at the
                        end :-))

                        Vance



                        ----- Original Message -----
                        From: "Chrissan" <christina_ljunggren@...>
                        To: <evonline2002_webheads@yahoogroups.com>
                        Sent: Tuesday, May 03, 2005 2:21 PM
                        Subject: [evonline2002_webheads] Re: Report on Today's Session


                        > Hi Michael, Yao is right, I can't reach the link either. No enter!
                        > Hugs,
                        > /Chrissan
                        >>
                        >> Yaodong - this may be a temporary problem. The link to the session at
                        >> http://home.learningtimes.net/learningtimes?go=807538 is working
                        > fine for me.
                        >>
                        >> - Michael
                        >
                      • John Hibbs
                        ... Phew! For a moment I thought Vance would say he was going to go into the lurking business. Webheads might well survive without him. But it would not
                        Message 11 of 12 , May 4, 2005
                        • 0 Attachment
                          At 6:58 AM -0700 5/4/05, Vance Stevens wrote:
                          >One test of the value of an effort is to withdraw from it and see
                          >what happens.
                          >(snip snip)
                          >I have no intention of doing that though.

                          Phew!

                          For a moment I thought Vance would say he was going to go into the
                          lurking business. Webheads might well survive without him. But it
                          would not prosper in the accelerated fashion that will happen if he
                          stays, not just steering the wagon, or even riding the horses that
                          pull it. Vance is one of those guys who also puts his own shoulder to
                          the wheel....and about all of this, there is not one single Webhead
                          who will disagree!

                          Thanks, Vance, for alleviating my worry that you might choose to ride
                          off into the sunset. In my not humble opinion, you should have a gig
                          in front of very big audiences several times a month...like in front
                          of MTV, C-SPAN, BBC, Canadian, Australian and Dutch radio -- as well
                          as in front of every single notable ESL event (... where their
                          leaders are wise enough to pay you to do your virtual dance!!!!)

                          Note this, also in my not humble opinion:
                          Even if you fell the biggest tree in the forest, it does little good
                          if there are not many around to see how brilliant was the cutting.

                          What can WE do to get bigger audiences for Webheads? For Vance Stevens?

                          Nobody, nobody, nobody leads their parade as well as does Vance
                          Stevens. Of course he is also supported by a brilliant, brilliant
                          cast. Go ahead - Webheads - pat yourself on the back. Your
                          performances are exceptional and a harbinger of better things to come.


                          Signed,
                          Your biggest fan,
                          John Hibbs
                        • Chrissan
                          Thank god John, at least you didn t call Vance the horse himself! Grateful for small mercies;-) Hugs, /Chrissan
                          Message 12 of 12 , May 4, 2005
                          • 0 Attachment
                            Thank god John, at least you didn't call Vance the horse himself!
                            Grateful for small mercies;-)
                            Hugs,
                            /Chrissan






                            --- In evonline2002_webheads@yahoogroups.com, John Hibbs <hibbs@b...>
                            wrote:
                            > At 6:58 AM -0700 5/4/05, Vance Stevens wrote:
                            > >One test of the value of an effort is to withdraw from it and see
                            > >what happens.
                            > >(snip snip)
                            > >I have no intention of doing that though.
                            >
                            > Phew!
                            >
                            > For a moment I thought Vance would say he was going to go into the
                            > lurking business. Webheads might well survive without him. But it
                            > would not prosper in the accelerated fashion that will happen if he
                            > stays, not just steering the wagon, or even riding the horses that
                            > pull it. Vance is one of those guys who also puts his own shoulder to
                            > the wheel....and about all of this, there is not one single Webhead
                            > who will disagree!
                            >
                            > Thanks, Vance, for alleviating my worry that you might choose to ride
                            > off into the sunset. In my not humble opinion, you should have a gig
                            > in front of very big audiences several times a month...like in front
                            > of MTV, C-SPAN, BBC, Canadian, Australian and Dutch radio -- as well
                            > as in front of every single notable ESL event (... where their
                            > leaders are wise enough to pay you to do your virtual dance!!!!)
                            >
                            > Note this, also in my not humble opinion:
                            > Even if you fell the biggest tree in the forest, it does little good
                            > if there are not many around to see how brilliant was the cutting.
                            >
                            > What can WE do to get bigger audiences for Webheads? For Vance Stevens?
                            >
                            > Nobody, nobody, nobody leads their parade as well as does Vance
                            > Stevens. Of course he is also supported by a brilliant, brilliant
                            > cast. Go ahead - Webheads - pat yourself on the back. Your
                            > performances are exceptional and a harbinger of better things to come.
                            >
                            >
                            > Signed,
                            > Your biggest fan,
                            > John Hibbs
                          Your message has been successfully submitted and would be delivered to recipients shortly.